Sidewalk sale

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally after about a month and a half there was a sidewalk sale today. I bought a box of small things. It had some matchbox cars, and some other miscellaneous stuff.

Wondering if any of this stuff looks familiar to anyone? They’re all made out of metal but I don’t see any markings on them. Thank you!

Hope everyone is well and safe!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588446032.039495.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588446072.763919.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588446101.735990.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1588446144.958852.jpg

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some cool stuff to set up around a lionel train set at the holidays

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat!. I know they used to and maybe still do sell the cast canons in the Gettysburg gift shops. Cast iron carriage and brass barrels.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 2 Green, 1 Blue, and 1 Pink car, look similar to Tootsie Toy cars, but they should be marked as such on the underside of each car. If they are not marked as you said, then they aren't. I'm thinking items for a train set, as the other member said.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool toys! :occasion14:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of items. The miniature figures, signs and such are not all to the same scale, so are unlikely to have been made by the same company. Also, the couple and the park bench at least were British made, but things like fire hydrants and ‘Hospital Quiet’ signs unlikely to be so.

The park bench couple are probably by John Hill & Co. also known as ‘Johillco’. They’re 1930s or 1940s but pre-war figures came from their factory in Islington London and post-war figures from Burnley (the factory was bombed out during the Blitz).

I say ‘probably’ because Britains Ltd of London made pretty much identical items and they could be ‘mixed and matched’ with those from John Hill. John Hill is an invented name for the company set up by F.H. Wood, a former employee of Britains who went head-to-head with them and they copied one another’s ideas. In the absence of any marks, it’s usually the case that John Hill’s figures are really well-painted versus those from Britains.

The set below could be from either, but the painting quality (of these, and yours) suggests John Hill. The bench also carries their mark. Not identical to yours but there are many variations and they can be difficult to attribute to one or the other in the absence of any marks.

John Hill.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of items. The miniature figures, signs and such are not all to the same scale, so are unlikely to have been made by the same company. Also, the couple and the park bench at least were British made, but things like fire hydrants and ‘Hospital Quiet’ signs unlikely to be so.

Thank you! I agree it looks a lot like them. The condition of mine is kind of poor in comparison. But thank you for your time and information.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a lot of the pieces I’ve priced $2-5 each. Never thought they would sell. A mom came in today with her son and said that she had all those toys growing up, and they bought them all. Except for the cars they’re on eBay. Spent $54. I gave her the tank and a stuffed bunny for free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread