Unusual Hammer

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used my down time during the past few months to sort through my backlog of garage sale finds. This is the last real mystery item in my pile.

I picked this up at a garage sale in eastern CT about four years ago. It's a specialized hammer of some kind. I've shown it to several collectors in my area and no one has seen anything like it.
My best guess is that it is some kind of stamping hammer. It's not large or heavy enough to stamp most kinds of wood, so it's possibly for soft metal.

The head is 6 1/2" long and the face is 1 1/4" x 1 3/8" wide. The mark it leaves is H14. I don't think the handle is original, as it also appears to be fitted upside down.

Before someone suggests it, I already sent an email asking about it to the Haines Hammer Museum several months ago. I never got a response, but I still strongly recommend visiting if you ever find yourself out that way.

hammer1.JPG hammer3.JPG
hammer2.JPG hammer4.JPG

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lumber Marker ? Neat !

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been making knives for years and have a similar hammer that I made myself to place a touch mark(makers mark) on heated metal. Not saying specifically that's what yours is but it would probably do that job. With metal red hot, it doesn't take much of a blow to leave a lasting mark.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece! :icon_thumleft:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leather stamp perhaps?

I would agree with it being a timber stamp, it's just the other end makes it look like a rivet hammer.

Last edited:

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is too small for a log stamp. The log stamps I have are larger and heavier. The mark made would have been too small to be seen on the end of the log when it went to the mill. The old time lumber men wanted every penny they deserved for cutting the trees down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions