Estate Sale Chinese bronze lidded bowls

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sales and estate sales are starting to come open in a big way this weekend in Georgia.
I found a few things, but was most interested is anyone has thoughts on these Chinese bronzes. I don't know much about Chinese items, but I liked the look of these. The big one is about 5.5" tall and the small one is about 4" tall. There are not marks. I paid $13 total for the two. I can't find any marks.

I've been trying to find out more about these...what would you call them?
Are there any ways to tell if pieces like these are modern?

IMG_0026_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0028_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0031_edited-1.JPG
IMG_0029_edited-1.JPG

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are censers, they'd be filled with sand and incense sticks could be placed inside. Incense was popular in America during the early 20th century, where it was exported from Japan and China along with objects like these. However, early exports should have been stamped "made in china" (or Japan or Nippon) or, if much earlier, Chinese characters indicating the maker and reign year. Of course, not everyone stuck to the rules. Also, the felt sliders are somewhat suspicious, but not a deal breaker. They are good quality objects and they're definitely worth what you paid, but it'd take a closer inspection to see if they're much earlier or a recent import HH -GC

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Im a big fan of Estate and yard sales I feel like a thief some of the stuff they sell for nothing......Good job

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice purchase! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread