Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awhile back i hit a garage sale and bought a box of misc. dishes. Just a bunch of generic mix and match plates and bowls for $5. I can always find a use for old plates and bowls of no value.

The odd part came when after I went them all and found a small saucer plate or maybe a butter plate. Felt like good china actually, very lightweight. When i turned it over.....a Swastika!

It must have been a war trophy by someone during WW2. The plate is from one of the Nazi youth education camps, Sonthofen was the 3rd step in the progression of ones education prior to becoming future leaders of the Nazi party. Why someone would take a plate is beyond me, but it would have been difficult to get back home without breaking such a fragile thing so that person made some effort.

It is definately a conversation piece for the table....or maybe it stays in the cabinet, not sure yet.

nazi plate 2.JPG

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I received what the clerk at Arby's an nickle in change. I knew it was different when she handed it to me so when I got to my table I looked at it good. It turned out to be a 10 pfennig coin 1940 vintage with a swastika on the back. Not a lot of value, maybe 5 or 6 dollars.

Google the history of the swastika as it had many meanings before the Germans confiscated it for their hatred.

OP
OP
M

Milspec6

Jun 22, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received what the clerk at Arby's an nickle in change. I knew it was different when she handed it to me so when I got to my table I looked at it good. It turned out to be a 10 pfennig coin 1940 vintage with a swastika on the back. Not a lot of value, maybe 5 or 6 dollars.

Google the history of the swastika as it had many meanings before the Germans confiscated it for their hatred.

The same with this plate, no real value, but interesting. Now if it was from a German U-boat, it may have been worth some money, but not a school.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may have been a flea market find from a GI in the 50s - 70s.

Or you know, after the war, many folks used what they had for a time, until goods (and services) began coming into occupied Germany. Perhaps a family just needed a plate to eat of off, and found this (these) one(s.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread