Nine Sons Of Dragon Stone Plaques

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not been able to find any thing like this to compare with. My question is: "What type of stone" does this look like?
Appears to me to be around mid 20th century however I'm not 100% certain. On the round white center pieces looks like
a dragon carved and on the outer sides of each tablet looks like sea horses to me.
All information, thoughts & opinions welcome. Thanks to all in advance.....

Tab 1.JPG ..... tab 2.JPG ..... Tab 3.JPG

Tab 4.JPG .... Tab 5.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen anything like it before either. Even though its Chinese, you could almost pass it off as ancient viking. It is a modern 1960s-70s piece I'm thinking that was sold in an import shop. My guess is the stone would be an alabaster or travertine to best describe it. When it comes to rocks you got your generic descriptions and then you could go further with more of the geo-geek terminology.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fish on either side of the dragon are probably carp 鲤鱼 liyu. There is a Chinese mythology story called 鲤鱼跳龙门 liyu tiao longmen which translates into the carp jumps over the dragon's gate. The story is about a school of young fish (carp) that went on a journey to the dragon's gate. When they got to the gate one of the fish jumped over the gate and became a dragon. From the closeup photo you posted the fish look like they are jumping out of the water and over the dragon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_in_Chinese_mythology#Carp

dragongate.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen anything like it before either. Even though its Chinese, you could almost pass it off as ancient viking. It is a modern 1960s-70s piece I'm thinking that was sold in an import shop. My guess is the stone would be an alabaster or travertine to best describe it. When it comes to rocks you got your generic descriptions and then you could go further with more of the geo-geek terminology.

tamrock, thanks for your input and I think you nailed it with "alabaster" for the stone. Research says alabaster is a white stone used for making statues, vases and ornaments.
Also alabaster is known as the protective stone "spiritual Healing" which would certainly apply here...

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fish on either side of the dragon are probably carp 鲤鱼 liyu. There is a Chinese mythology story called 鲤鱼跳龙门 liyu tiao longmen which translates into the carp jumps over the dragon's gate. The story is about a school of young fish (carp) that went on a journey to the dragon's gate. When they got to the gate one of the fish jumped over the gate and became a dragon. From the closeup photo you posted the fish look like they are jumping out of the water and over the dragon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_in_Chinese_mythology#Carp

View attachment 1852526

Yang Hao, your knowledge is appreciated. I did not know about the carp / dragon myth and from what you described and the included picture I think you also nailed it.
The myth's and culture is very interesting to me and now this one can go in the completed file...

Thanks again Yang Hao................. I have a few more in my tiny Asian collection that so far I cannot find anything and will have another post or two...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread