IMG_2349.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 71

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are killer finds! Old books like that in this area go for a premium. Well done! Just out of curiosity, how much were they?

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the signature on the one, does that read 1815?

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to figure it out - made a pile - 30 or forty items - I paid $20.00 , still have more stuff to post . I guess they were less than a dollar each .

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are awesome

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely be gentle and take your time doing research.
This site won't help you on the values, but still might be useful.

https://archive.org/search.php?query

Man, would I love just smelling all that old musty history coming off those finds!
Kudos
Carl

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great collection of interesting old books but, sadly, age doesn't determine value, although you certainly made a score. I take it you don't speak french. For the ones you have shown:

‘Les Conseils de la Sagesse ou le Recueil des Maximes de Salomon les plus Nécessaires à L'homme pour se Conduire Sagement' (the advice of wisdom or the collection of the maxims of Solomon most necessary for man to behave wisely) is a moralistic religious companion by the Jesuit priest Michel Boutauld.

‘La Laideur Aimable, et les Dangers de la Beauté’ (Amiable ugliness and the dangers of beauty) is a sentimental novel exploring parental love and the shallowness of looks versus personality in relation to the romantic experiences of a beautiful elder daughter and her ugly younger sister. It was later translated into English as ‘Agreeable Ugliness’ by Sarah Scott (1754). The original author (Pierre Antoine de La Place) is best known for the first French translation of ‘Tom Jones’ and of many plays… notably those of Shakespeare.

‘L’Office Complét du Paroissen Suivant le Bréviaire de Paris et Celui de Rome’ (the complete parishioner’s guide according to the breviary of Paris and that of Rome) is a Catholic liturgical book. Also known as the ‘liturgy of the hours’, it details the Catholic daily service for the divine office and the official prayers of the church consisting of psalms, readings, and hymns that are recited at particular hours of the day.

‘Traite de Physique et de Chirurgie ou L’On Expliqué’ is a treatise on anatomy, physiology and surgery by the physician Jean Fontrailles.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find. Amazing that things like that survive all the years they did.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a book expert at ha.com that would be happy to look at your offerings. They are tough to research so it always helps to have someone who specializes. They can also offer them for sale for you if you need to make them go away. I have used them with great success Very nice score for less than a buckapiece

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old books, nice job on the purchase! :occasion14:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great looking old books. Sounds like you did very well on the prices paid.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
Those are the sort of books you see in movies where book collectors are striving to find musty old volumes penned by Satan, lol.

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm into publishing, so of course I find these gorgeous irrespective of price. Just beautiful.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I saw a number of older books a while back at a thrift sale, not near as old as yours though. I grabbed a couple including one dealing with the "new" income tax that was being implemented. The sad thing is that most of the books came from the local college library and as such they all had Dewey Decimal numbers on the spines in white pen. My father used to collect older books when I was young, but he had to stop because the mildew and dust from them were causing him problems with his asthma. I was able to get a few books of what he had left from him before he passed away in January, one of which is a book of poems from 1922 that was signed by the author. It isn't worth much of anything but I really like it.

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for a time with a university library accession of old books, some incunabula there, too.

Of course, these had fantastic bookpaper, dark black ink printing with impression, great old design.

Age isn't the factor in determining price. I'm surprised at how affordable 500 year old books can be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions