Have you Heard of Marilyn Lowe

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have some original music typed up by or for Marilyn lowe ā€œ The girl in front of the bandā€ has anyone heard of her or any information thank you
IMG_0162.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of her, but hereā€™s a few thoughts.

The address on her card is given as the Park Central Hotel, but the registered package sent to her is addressed as ā€œPark Sheratonā€. The Park Central was bought by Sheraton and renamed to the Park-Sheraton in 1948, so it has to have been sent later than that, but probably not much later.

If the card was printed before 1948 and she was 17 at the time then at least some of her experience must have been as a child performer for her to claim 7 years movie experience and 8 years radio experience. Thereā€™s no record of her in IMDb.

Some of that experience must have been in wartime, which ties in with the mention of O.W.I. on both radio and recorded spot commercials, as well as the mention of ā€œKeep ā€˜em Rollingā€. I assume the O.W.I. is the United States Office of War Information, created in June 1942 and in operation until September 1945. They made radio broadcasts, short films and such of a patriotic nature to connect the battlefront to industrial production and civilian communities, using the propaganda catchphrases: ā€œKeep ā€˜Em Rollingā€, ā€œKeep ā€˜Em Comingā€ and ā€œKeep ā€˜Em Shooting,ā€ The ā€œKeep ā€™em Rollingā€ phrase had also been used by the Office of Emergency Management from 1941 as America began to ramp up its production prior to entry into the war.

I would also guess that the ā€œCavalcadeā€ mentioned under her Radio experience relates to the ā€œCavalcade of Americaā€ show aired on radio from 1935 to 1953. It was an anthology series with dramatised true-life stories of a feel-good nature, biographies of popular composers and occasional musical productions, originally on CBS, and sponsored by the DuPont Company. The actress Helen Hayes (also mentioned on the card) featured during the life of the series. The card also mentions ā€œBig Townā€, which was an extremely popular serialised radio drama about a crusading newspaper editor that aired from 1937 to 1952.

Looks like your Marilyn had a history of child/teen bit-parts and commercial work during the late 1930s to mid-1940s which may well have gone uncredited, and was looking to audition for bigger roles in musical productions. Thereā€™s no mention of that song anywhere, so probably whatever it was written for never happened. Who knows whether she ever made a career for herself. Given she was only in her late teens or possibly very early 20s, she might have married and achieved something under a different name.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone this was also in the envelope looks like she purchased it from Al Seigell ??
IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0167.jpg

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say highly likely. Al Siegel was no longer performing or recording at this time, but he was still writing, arranging, and coaching young female singers. That was quite some investment young Marilyn made... $250 for an exclusive song from an established professional and a long let apartment in a swanky hotel. Looks like Mummy and Daddy may have been pushing her career and bankrolling her. Doesn't look like she realised the dream though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Al Siegel has music in the film swing high swing low 1937 still doing some research thanks for the help
IMG_0180.png

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like thatā€™s your girl. Well done 'treasurekidd'. I didn't think to check IBDB as well as IMDb.

ā€˜Diamond Lilā€™, as a revival of Mae Westā€™s original 1928 play, had a short ā€˜tryoutā€™ at the Forrest Theatre in December 1948. I canā€™t tell from this incomplete scan if Marilyn Lowe was in the cast at the time.

Tryout.jpg

She was certainly in the cast (as ā€˜Barbaraā€™) during its subsequent run from 5th February - 26th February of 1949 (by which time the Forrest had been renamed to the Coronet). The show closed prematurely on 26th February as a result of Mae West breaking her ankle when she slipped in the bathtub.

After Mae Westā€™s recovery, the show re-opened at the Plymouth Theatre and ran from 7th September 1949 ā€“ 21st January 1950, again with Marilyn Lowe cast as Barbara. The playbill for the 1949-50 run includes a ā€œWhoā€™s Who in the Castā€ section, but Marilyn was too far down the list to get a mention.

Lil1.jpg Lil2.jpg Lil3.jpg

The play also ran for a short period at the Nixon Theatre in Pittsburgh, PA with the last performance on 24th April 1950 just before it temporarily closed for redevelopment work. Thereā€™s no mention of Marilyn Lowe for that run.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another titbit from some ā€˜showbizā€™ gossip in the New York Daily News of 16th March 1949: ā€œMarilyn Lowe of "Diamond Lil" is doubling as a singer from the Hickory House bandstand, these nightsā€. Maybe the song relates to those gigs.

Hickory House was one of the last jazz clubs on 52nd Street in Manhattan, opened in 1933 and surviving into the 1960s. The bandstand at the Hickory House was an elevated stage in the centre of a large oval bar, with a pyramid of liquor bottles at each end. Known not only for its music but also its food, it was said to be the best steak house in New York. It had a huge meat locker with glass windows to show off the sides of beef hung within, log fires along the back wall where the steaks were cooked, and the side walls covered with pictures of famous musicians who had performed there and celebrities who had frequented it.

Some pics (none showing Marilyn):

Hickory House 1.jpg Hickory House 2.jpg Hickory House 3.jpg Hickory House 4.jpg

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help I really appreciate everyone.That would explain why Marylin lowe was in the pile of Mae west stuff that I picked up it was all group together here are some more photos a letter from Mae West and I believe some type of Business book of her itā€™s not completely full just partial pages IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg
IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0193.jpg

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one who sees the glaring similarity to a certain Charlie Daniels song?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread