Mid century lucite fruit tray?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went a sale today and bought some Carnival glass, couple pieces of Fenton and Jewelry. Decided to walk back through everything after I paid and I donā€™t even know why I didnā€™t see this the first time.. not signed, everything is Lucite it has to be mid century. The pictures arenā€™t the best because I donā€™t have a good background. But it is 12ā€x14ā€ and 15ā€ tall. At least 6 lbs. There is a pineapple, six strawberries, three bananas and two apples. I canā€™t find anything like it to even come up with a price. But it was $3!

The people selling it thought it was hilarious that I was buying it. I feel like I scored but I donā€™t even know how to price it!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613881064.498562.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613881090.924022.jpg

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Certainly not Mid Century Modern. Probably late mod or mid 70's. Then again, put all of that in the description, it will sell.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly not Mid Century Modern. Probably late mod or mid 70's. Then again, put all of that in the description, it will sell.

What would you price it at? Itā€™s like stupid weird so Iā€™m not even sure anyone would want it!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely funky. There are a few sites that discuss acrylic lucite as collectibles, though I'm a little on the fence as to the age of your item, but 1970s would seem possible to me. It seem lucite has had an on and off popularity from the 1940s on into the early 1990s. The house I've lived in for over 30 years was built in 1982. When I first moved in it had this very lucite ceiling light. Maybe five or so years after I moved in I took it down and replaced it with a small retro leaded glass lamp. I think I either tossed out that old acrylic light or donated it to the thrift store. I believe that ceiling light was original to the house.

Attachments

• 9616d125d6c14332dee9ebd789ebdfb7.jpg
    9616d125d6c14332dee9ebd789ebdfb7.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 49

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it just for display or does it have a use? It looks like something out of the gaudy Miami house in the movie Scarface.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve seen a number of groups like these in bowls or on platters from the 1960s/1970s but theyā€™re usually coloured to resemble the fruits. Often theyā€™re from Italy but those donā€™t have bananas or pineapplesā€¦ generally citrus fruits, apples and grapes etc. Iā€™ve seen clear ones in sets where each fruit has a hole through it for use as a napkin ring. Also from the 1960s/1970s.

There are superior lucite examples, produced as ā€˜artā€™, like this group from Will Hardy of New York and signed as such.

Lucite.jpg

These kinds of thing have a collector value. That group above (grapes, apple, pear, plum, banana, and lemon, with accompanying glass fruit bowl: height 10 inches) was sold by Skinner Auctions for $119, although it had a pre-auction estimate of $300-500! Yours is not in the same league. Itā€™s just vintage kitsch with a commensurately low value. Thereā€™s an active collector market for kitsch but it doesnā€™t command high prices.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing is for sure, there aren't many (if any) out there to be found. I don't dismiss anything until I find a comparable. Second thing is for $3 you couldn't go wrong. Kitschy or not, that was a deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread