Mid century lucite fruit tray?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Beachkid23
  • 1 Post By dejapooh
  • 1 Post By Beachkid23
  • 1 Post By Red-Coat
  • 1 Post By diggummup

Thread: Mid century lucite fruit tray?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4836 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Mid century lucite fruit tray?

I went a sale today and bought some Carnival glass, couple pieces of Fenton and Jewelry. Decided to walk back through everything after I paid and I donít even know why I didnít see this the first time.. not signed, everything is Lucite it has to be mid century. The pictures arenít the best because I donít have a good background. But it is 12Ēx14Ē and 15Ē tall. At least 6 lbs. There is a pineapple, six strawberries, three bananas and two apples. I canít find anything like it to even come up with a price. But it was $3!

The people selling it thought it was hilarious that I was buying it. I feel like I scored but I donít even know how to price it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613881064.498562.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	737.8 KB 
ID:	1903928

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613881090.924022.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	738.7 KB 
ID:	1903929
    diggummup and treasurekidd like this.

us
    Voice of Reason?

Nov 2012
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    990 times
    Guns kill people, and people kill people. We can only hope to control both.
    Certainly not Mid Century Modern. Probably late mod or mid 70's. Then again, put all of that in the description, it will sell.
    gunsil likes this.
    Big Business is the Biggest special interest.

Give me liberty or give me death. Just make sure I am not killed by a Terrorist.
    Read my mail, See who I call, See what I read at the Library, inject, inspect, detect, infect, Neglect and select me... Just don't let them there terrorists get me.

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4836 times

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1613888742.543055.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	785.0 KB 
ID:	1903948

Shows up better with a Fenton lamp.
    FallColors likes this.

Oct 2013
    fort myers fl
    4836 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dejapooh View Post
    Certainly not Mid Century Modern. Probably late mod or mid 70's. Then again, put all of that in the description, it will sell.
    What would you price it at? Itís like stupid weird so Iím not even sure anyone would want it!

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    22291 times
    It is definitely funky. There are a few sites that discuss acrylic lucite as collectibles, though I'm a little on the fence as to the age of your item, but 1970s would seem possible to me. It seem lucite has had an on and off popularity from the 1940s on into the early 1990s. The house I've lived in for over 30 years was built in 1982. When I first moved in it had this very lucite ceiling light. Maybe five or so years after I moved in I took it down and replaced it with a small retro leaded glass lamp. I think I either tossed out that old acrylic light or donated it to the thrift store. I believe that ceiling light was original to the house.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9616d125d6c14332dee9ebd789ebdfb7.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	1903958  

Charter Member
    us
    Feb 2006
    New York, NY
    Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III) 2021 I got picked up a Minelab equinox 800 but have not been able to use it yet because of the cold!
    1598 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Is it just for display or does it have a use? It looks like something out of the gaudy Miami house in the movie Scarface.

gb
    Dec 2019
    Surrey
    5779 times
    I’ve seen a number of groups like these in bowls or on platters from the 1960s/1970s but they’re usually coloured to resemble the fruits. Often they’re from Italy but those don’t have bananas or pineapples… generally citrus fruits, apples and grapes etc. I’ve seen clear ones in sets where each fruit has a hole through it for use as a napkin ring. Also from the 1960s/1970s.

There are superior lucite examples, produced as ‘art’, like this group from Will Hardy of New York and signed as such.

Name:	Lucite.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	1903963

These kinds of thing have a collector value. That group above (grapes, apple, pear, plum, banana, and lemon, with accompanying glass fruit bowl: height 10 inches) was sold by Skinner Auctions for $119, although it had a pre-auction estimate of $300-500! Yours is not in the same league. It’s just vintage kitsch with a commensurately low value. There’s an active collector market for kitsch but it doesn’t command high prices.
    FallColors likes this.

um
    Jul 2004
    God's Country, Ky.
    Whites M6
    10005 times
    One thing is for sure, there aren't many (if any) out there to be found. I don't dismiss anything until I find a comparable. Second thing is for $3 you couldn't go wrong. Kitschy or not, that was a deal.

Sponsored Links