5 gallon glass jug

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandpa had one with coins when I was growing up. I’ve always wanted one and never really came across it. See them in stores but it’s not the same as finding one at a yard sale. Found one a couple weeks ago. Paid $20. It’s funny, he put old coins in his. I put old silver in mine..

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614666018.197227.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1614666049.534300.jpg

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
Very nice but one question. How are you going to get those forks and whatnot out of this when the time comes?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice water jug.

Where do you find all the silver to put in it?

Yardsales 52 weeks of the year and thrift stores.
(Live in swfl) they are every weekend. And I buy scrap from other pickers. Can only keep a bit at a time but have been saving it in a box for awhile. Now it’s stuck in a bottle.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I filled mine with change... it took all I had and lots of help.

1200 in change.

300 lbs maybe more it felt like... and hard to handle and thought it would burst whilst at the Publix Coinstar.

Bass turds made over 80 bucks off me / that back then for that shopping cart nightmare fiasco.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I went to move mine with about 5 inches of coins in the bottom and it had cracked all the way around the base and when I picked it up.....

I have one more with the fancy horzontal and vertical lines, but due to what happened with the first one, I won't put stuff in it. Instead, I would use a plastic one.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Hubby had one break in his car many years ago, also loaded with coins. Now he doesn’t put as much in there.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice but one question. How are you going to get those forks and whatnot out of these when the time comes?

It’s on the second floor too. there’s a good possibility they fall through the floor then it’ll break open.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve been driving a beater car for the last five years I might not save the silver for too long, I’ve been driving my dad‘s vehicle for the last week, much newer much nicer much bigger. An upgrade might be in my future..

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those jugs for pennies. I had one for over 25 years, the last move I had the movers stole it. I should have known better...I had it separate to take myself but they said “no problem, we’ll take care of it”....and they did. Probably $150 in pennies. I hate thievery!

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love those jugs for pennies. I had one for over 25 years, the last move I had the movers stole it. I should have known better...I had it separate to take myself but they said “no problem, we’ll take care of it”....and they did. Probably $150 in pennies. I hate thievery!

Thieves suck. Off with their heads!! ♥️

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mines full. Gonna take 4 men and 6 boys to lift it. The bank wont be happy !

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to want to be cautions with full glass bottles, many decades ago I delivered those bottles, and they will blow apart ! Take into consideration they were designed to hold water at 8lbs per gallon, 75 to 100lbs of coins will make them blow out. One of my customers almost lost a foot, just a FYI, Take care all.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to want to be cautions with full glass bottles, many decades ago I delivered those bottles, and they will blow apart ! Take into consideration they were designed to hold water at 8lbs per gallon, 75 to 100lbs of coins will make them blow out. One of my customers almost lost a foot, just a FYI, Take care all.

Thank you for the warning. I was with a friend and we had a bunch of Morgan silver dollars and try to put them in a canning jar and put the top on. That was a disaster. I can’t imagine breaking something like this

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! I found one at an estate sale with mixed change in it, I bought it for less than $15.00. I can’t remember how much silver change I got out of it, but it was a lot more than I paid. I still have al the pennies. I believe I posted it on here.
Good luck getting the Silver out of yours!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Carboys are for making wine.
L.o.l..

Ammo cans (tupperware for men) make better containers for silver and gold coins than glass.
My clad goes in plastic containers.
Just cashed in $196.92 the other day.
That's about enough to carry...
Spent part of it on...More ammo cans.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go ahead and fill her up!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I assure you the one i had was every bit of that and felt like 300... i will never do it again.

So filled another smaller kerosene glass one... and it sucks as well... what sucked both times BESIDES the weight and inability to handle it was the damn neck... the neck does not allow coins to "flow",,, they get stuck and clog... which then requires a tip back or shake... diligently of course,,, but regardless it is lame.

I recommend a medium to large pickle jar... it is far better for the main reason of... the mouth of the jar allows change easy removal.

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I filled mine with change... it took all I had and lots of help.

1200 in change.

300 lbs maybe more it felt like... and hard to handle and thought it would burst whilst at the Publix Coinstar.

Bass turds made over 80 bucks off me / that back then for that shopping cart nightmare fiasco.

Nice haul. I think bass turds are worth more than goldfish turds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread