Civil War Belt Buckle?

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up at a family run estate sale. I chatted up the people who where running the sale (family friends). They said this belonged to the father of a WWII vet and said it was “pre WWI”. I saw some examples online saying it was Civil War era. It looks good to me? What do you think? Real? Belt is falling apart...I assume I can throw the belt away.

Also picked up a silver eagle and some silver quarters so not a bad day.

C26D6C2E-9EC7-4779-A585-9932B8BAB11A.jpeg
5FF74F2D-ACFD-4D08-8A21-60C21B480CCD.jpeg

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep the belt with the plate.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
KEEP THE BELT!!!!!

I REPEAT KEEP THE BELT!

ABSOLUTELY KEEP THE BELT!

Nice buckle, and excellent pickup! :icon_thumleft:

KEEP THE BELT! :laughing7:

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone...thanks for the feedback. Will keep the belt. I assumed belt was newer but maybe not. Will add pics of the belt later.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEEP THE BELT! That is one expensive set up! Congrats!

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback on the belt. Here are pics of the belt. It’s made from 2 pieces of leather.

Any idea on the possible date range for this buckle? Could it be civil war era?

CEDE85EC-BD72-4CF5-AD90-A58944738C64.jpg
E705C2BA-79DA-44A8-B609-B9A2B18BACCB.jpg

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great score! Congratulations. I've never seen any at garage sales. Hopefully one day one will come my way. :-)

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professional leatherworker here, I specifically do mid 1700 to 1890 era goods for Rendezvous and other historical events. Without feeling the leather I cannot be sure, the stitch and skive of the connection looks correct to the very late 1800, the tell all is if it is waxed barbour thread or linen flax thread. The appearance of the cracking and age is correct, however that can be replicated with saltwater and sunlight. The buckle is a great find but beyond my makers mark knowledge.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info TheWalrus...always cool to learn new things. There are a few examples with this makers mark...this one being the closest.
https://www.horsesoldier.com/products/military-accoutrements/leather/belts/27315

Funny thing is...the belt was in the post pictures on top of a WWII navy uniform. The lady selling was quoting price for both. Some guy who I assume was a regular (I was out of town) just glanced at it and said “there are a lot of fakes, you need to be careful” and walked away.

I chatted the husband up outside, asked the history, then asked the lady selling if she would sell just the belt. She said yes and cut her price for both items in half but wouldn’t budge anymore. I’m not an expert in most things, but a lot of times who you are buying something from is more important than what you are buying. Based on who I bought this from, I think this is 100% legit.

40 Rounds

Nov 26, 2016
Iowa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are two basic types of these Civil War era enlisted belt buckles. This one is known as the "puppy paw" style because of the stud hooks on the back. The maker mark is a correct CW era producer of goods to the Federal army during the war. Not having it in hand it is diificult to be certain but yes it looks to be authentic Civil War issue. The leather belt under close examination should have a stamp on it. Probably very worn but it should be there.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent score. I once got a Spanish American War officer's buckle in a jar, so you just never know.

Again, awesome find and good eye.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me. I'm usually suspect of military stuff unless its generic surplus. Your's look good from age to markings and wear

I actually found a similar "puppy paw" buckle years ago, in a relatively modern neighborhood in Calabasas, CA, stashed in a low cupboard in the garage. It didn't seem like it belonged but i still bought it out of curiosity. It was the belt buckle, belt, lead shot pouch and percussion cap pouch w/ flash hole cleaning pin. I don't remember the name on the leather but it had some waxy mold and broken stitches so condition was okay for the age. Check the belt closely and you will find a imprinted stamp of the maker

After some research, it proved to be real and period correct.

You've made quite the find. They must of made hundreds of thousand of those buckles but you don't see them often. Nice Score!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread