What Is It?

reapp

Nov 1, 2005
I found these three wooden items years ago at a yard sale, and have not been able to determine their use since. They are wooden and measure approximately 12"'s long, and are carved out of a single piece of wood. Each has a top grip for placing downward pressure, and there is a rear handle. The bottom is broad, smooth, and flat. I thought that they might be a cooking utensil, but that is only a guess. Hoping that someone can solve the mystery!

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 135
  • 022.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures of all angles including bottom would help

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they may be tools used in knotting or ropework,I can,t remember what they,re called but maybe a starting place to look.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that one of the items is inscribed "TAHIR" in western alphabet characters. As a name, that would be the anglicised version of the Arabic "Taher" (meaning 'pure' or 'virtuous'), which is traditional in both Muslim and Jewish communities. It's also the name of a region in Algeria, and the main city in that region.

I have no idea what these are, but my initial reaction was that they might be related to massage/acupressure. I've seen some pretty strange carved wooden items used in traditional therapies in 'Arabic' countries, although nothing quite like yours. However, they're usually very smooth from years of use (and sometimes have residual odour of scented oils used in massage). These are some of the many modern variations but there are many more traditional shapes suited to various parts of the body:

Massage.jpg

My only other thought was that they might be some kind of tool for leather-working but, again, I can't offer a match.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread