Finds in Thrift Shops or Local Dump

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
I do a lot of metal detecting, but also I search thrift shops and the local dump for books and other items I collect or put on eBay. One of my recent finds was a 1939 1st edition 12th printing in 1948 of Alcoholics Anonymous. It just sold for $280.00. Yesterday at the dump before the bulldozer got to it a Redline BMX RL-20 20 inch bike that was all original and in good shape. By researching on eBay and the internet it ?seems it can be worth over $200.00 or more. Gretchen.

R

retro-redux

Cool finds Gretchen.

My best Thrift Shop find was what turned out to be two Roseville pots-one worth about $500-$1000 and the other about $200. I didn't know what roseville was but I could tell they looked old so I bought them-less than $4 for both ;D :o ::)

Still have them-I figure they are my "emergency fund" if I'm ever desperate for cash.

I once found a old safari hunt memoir-bought at $1-sold $50.

Laura

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a sterling sugar and cream set at local Salvation Army thrift shop for 1/2 dollar and a 14kt necklace with pendant for $1.
You have to look close and jump on things cause you never know what you'll find.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I read where a net-acquaintance of mine recently was having some work done on his car, so he went to a thrift store across the street.

Found a signed hardcover first edition of Frank Herbert's sci-fi novel "Dune". Sold it for a couple of thousand dollars if I recall correctly. He paid about a quarter for it.

Here is one now on ebay unsigned for $1100:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FRANK-HERBERT-DUNE-DJ-FIRST-EDITION-BOOK-CLUB-EDITION_W0QQitemZ190010370892QQihZ009QQcategoryZ29223QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The only two things I've ever found at a thrift store was a copy of Windows XP home upgrade for $5, which I thought was a fantastic deal, and a computer.

The computer was an older PII 350. I bought it to work on a cluster. When I booted it up it turned out it was a work computer from a local computer company. They forgot to erase the hard drive! I found a customer list and sold it to their competitor for $500 and a free top of the line computer at the time (2000). LOL

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
cryptodave said:
The only two things I've ever found at a thrift store was a copy of Windows XP home upgrade for $5, which I thought was a fantastic deal, and a computer.

The computer was an older PII 350. I bought it to work on a cluster. When I booted it up it turned out it was a work computer from a local computer company. They forgot to erase the hard drive! I found a customer list and sold it to their competitor for $500 and a free top of the line computer at the time (2000). LOL

Nice! A little competition is good for those customers, but then you got to make out like a bandit too. Congrats!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CaptainZossima said:
Saturday, Mrs Z and Grandson and I went Thrift Storing. I did not buy the following, but am interested in feedback should I.

1909 Book Titled Gold Hunters(story based in Michigan) First Edition $1.00.

Blues Brothers Album Jake and for $3.00.

Very crumpled/crumbly book jacket, but fine pages inside 1858 book.(cover is horrible) $1.00

Didn't buy anything. Could go back. Thoughts?

Cap Z/.

You might check with some of the Michigan folks who frequent these forums - I'll bet one of them would be thrilled to get a copy of that book!

T

TreasureTales

Cubfan64 said:
CaptainZossima said:
Saturday, Mrs Z and Grandson and I went Thrift Storing. I did not buy the following, but am interested in feedback should I.

1909 Book Titled Gold Hunters(story based in Michigan) First Edition $1.00.

Blues Brothers Album Jake and for $3.00.

Very crumpled/crumbly book jacket, but fine pages inside 1858 book.(cover is horrible) $1.00

Didn't buy anything. Could go back. Thoughts?

Cap Z/.

You might check with some of the Michigan folks who frequent these forums - I'll bet one of them would be thrilled to get a copy of that book!

I don't live anywhere near Michigan and still that book sounds interesting to me. Is it nonfiction???? It's gotta be a good read even if it's not a hot ticket item on ebay.

RevJoel

Mar 1, 2006
Central SC
Detector(s) used
Old Garrett Deep Seeker
Two weeks ago, at a local thrift shop, I picked up an M1 Steel Pot Helmet. Made between 42 and 43. It has the fixed bales and the front seam. No liner or chin strap, but for 2.95 I can't complain!

Pax Christi
Rev. Joel+

BADDOG

Dec 21, 2004
Weeki Wachee, FL (north of Tampa)
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I probably go to 5 thrift shops a week. I was recently in Orlando and stopped in 1. They had a Nikon F4 for $49.00 behind the counter.
I said I'll take it. They handed me the camera, 3 lenses a 2X converter and a flash. I sold 1 lens for $419.00, 1 for $212.00 the other for $102.00. The teleconverter went for around $75.00 and the flash went for around $58.00. The camera didn't work, the previous owner left the batteries in it >:( . I sold it for parts for $139.00! Over $1000.00 for a $49.00 investment.
That was a good find, not my best but by most recent best.

Good Luck and HH

Baddog

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
I'm glad this thread resurfaced... I'd read it before I had a photo of a book I'd found, then I couldn't find this thread (there's a lot of new stuff on TNet lately). Anyway I just sold this book that I found at my local dump's "swap shop"... definitely a book to keep your eye open for: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...90033304976&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESO:IT&rd=1 Thrift shop finds that I've done well with would be T-shirts from 1970's/1980's rock bands. I've sold several for $40-$90, and only paid $1-$3. In my area the Salvation Army is better than Goodwill stores, as Goodwill does have people trained to look for certain items and price them appropriately (or list them on their own ebay type site).

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you you you NICE SCORE HOW MUCH YOU PAY???

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
For the book? Nothing. People just drop of stuff they don't want, but know has some life left to it. The town built a small garage to accomodate this, since they're glad to keep the stuff out of landfills.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nhbenz said:
I'm glad this thread resurfaced... I'd read it before I had a photo of a book I'd found, then I couldn't find this thread (there's a lot of new stuff on TNet lately). Anyway I just sold this book that I found at my local dump's "swap shop"... definitely a book to keep your eye open for: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...90033304976&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESO:IT&rd=1 Thrift shop finds that I've done well with would be T-shirts from 1970's/1980's rock bands. I've sold several for $40-$90, and only paid $1-$3. In my area the Salvation Army is better than Goodwill stores, as Goodwill does have people trained to look for certain items and price them appropriately (or list them on their own ebay type site).

Wow...what makes this book so valuable? I collect modern 1st but have never heard of this...thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread