Different numbers for gold rings

bdecriscio

Jun 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was testing my AT 400 at home with some gold rigs, all 10k and got solid but very different numbers for all three. Wedding band=40 high school ring 61 and college ring 77. i usually don't dig numbers around 61 because of junk stuff and most of rhe time the mid 70's and up are pennies. I do dig 40 but it's usually pull tabs. I know dig everything is good advice but is there any logic to at least not lose gold jewelry without digging everything?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, just happens that if you want gold you HAVE to dig trash. Most gold signals the same as some aluminum and some lead, and gold itself will be all over the place do to various gold alloys and shape of target. Sadly, gold is what everybody wants but no amount of modern technology has yet provided us with a way to distinguish gold from lead and aluminum when buried in the ground. Discrimination in detectors is a wonderful thing, but using a lot of it makes gold disappear. One can "cherry pick" silver fairly well, but with gold it just doesn't work that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread