lots of ace 400 problems and not happy

dirtfisher 2

Apr 3, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
recently upgraded my 9 year old ace 250 to a ace 400 , I am not to thrilled ,the buttons with the 400 do not work so smooth , the pin pointer button is sticky and takes holding down longer and a wiggle to operate ,where the 250 is instant the on /off button is hit and miss, more so with the iron audio function and will most times turn the machine off at the same time. now for the iron audio function it only works when its turned off , when I turn it on you do not hear any grunts , I mean it works the opposite to what it should be ?????
I tested both machines together taking care to keep them well apart , the 250 had a 4inch sniper coil , the 400 had the original 250 coil ,both set to the same sensitivity and same modes the target readings are nowhere close to the same often the opposite ends of the scale not even close ???
When these machines are built at the factory I question if these 400 units are calibrated or is it assumed that as the circuit boards are all mass produced the same and will work as intended . I have tried the factory reset with the same results , may be mine was a Friday afternoon run. Has anyone experienced any similar problems with the 400, if so any help or hints will be appreciated before I ship this back to garrett who I know are well known for backing up there products . meanwhile my old beaten up 250 is my go to machine

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently picked up a used Garrett Ace 400 at a pawn shop. I agree with most of your concerns (buttons, iron audio, pinpointer) but haven't seen these little quirks as issues big enough to get rid of the machine. I've been using it since Father's Day and it's definitely grown on me.

The calibration on this unit does seem weird, so I'm interested in the factory reset idea that you mentioned. For example, I went out today and twice got a solid 78 with no bouncing and then later a solid 84 with no bouncing, but both ended up being cans! I wasn't too happy. Cans generally bounce all over the place, from 40s to 90s, but these were totally stable.

The main thing that bug me about my personal unit is that the bottom half of the display fades in and out, so sometimes I'm left judging number by the tiny bar up top. Not a great way to function.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also listened to the hype and went ahead and purchased one. I own about 10 detectors that range from the 400 class to higher grade units. The 400 has turned out to be my biggest mistake. I have pushed myself to go ahead and take it out detecting to make sure that it was the detector shortcomings and not operating talent. The short cuff and heavy coil along with the lack of a ground balance feature started off in the negative list the first couple times out. Since then that list has gained in numbers and now this detector has started to gain dust from being parked and not being used because of its shortcomings.

Rimfire

Nov 13, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my Ace400 for over a year. When I first got it there were issues with the buttons. I live near Garrett and so took the machine to them and got it fixed. My previous detector was also an Ace250. They are different machines. I had a tough couple months getting used to the 400. I have the DD coil that came with it and am so pleased. I'm finding more than just pennies at deeper depths than the 250. The pinpoint button stinks. It takes too long to come off pinpoint back to detection when using the button. I'm still not sure where the hell the pinpoint "spot" is on the coil but....I learned to pinpoint without the pinpoint button. It's faster and just as accurate once I got the hang of it. I do the left-right "wiggle" while drawing slowly back and forth and can pinpoint on the front or rear edge of the coil. Factory Reset is simple and should be done whenever you have doubts or change coils. My next detector will be either an Apex or AT Pro. The 400 is a good machine. Get a DD coil and stay with it. Good luck.

seagullplayer

Aug 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 & ACE 400, ACE Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm another 400 owner that upgraded from an ACE 250. The 250 still works BTW.
I bought mine from a local dealer a year ago, it was already assembled and tested.
I wonder if that made the difference? As I have had no issues with the unit. My buttons work fine.

The pin point works pretty much the same as the 250, but the "center" location on the coil is different.

I'm really happy with it so far. I debated between the 400 and the AT series. I don't need water proof and have been fine without ground balance with the 250 for a decade. The ACE 400 just saved me a few bucks.
(Still using the DD coil that came with my 400 stock)

I am pretty interested in the new ACE Apex. My little brother moved to Florida and I would like to try some beaches when I visit. I think the Apex might work better there. And built in wireless headphones sound like a nice upgrade.

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife wants to start detecting with me. i wanted to buy something good but easy to use. as not to descourage her.
im very disapointed.. no ground bal, and most of all no volume.control its annoying loud and we dont like headphones... Fail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread