Last edited:

Yellowstone

Greenie
May 3, 2017
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2, Equinox 800, Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a trailer hitch at 20" at the beach.

Kwillie

May 28, 2016
Galveston Tx
Detector(s) used
Teknetics D 4000
Minelab excalibur II
Minelab go find 20
Garrett AT Pro.
Garrett ATX Deepseeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Superior Digger, I have the ATX and excalibur 2, love them both. ATX SUPER DEEP BUT PI, I dug a nice chisel on the beach? At 2.5 deep. I use it when the excel is no longer picking anything up. Great machine takes some getting used too but powerful beach machine.

DeepDigs

Oct 27, 2016
WI
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP Deus 2, XP Deus, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go on YouTube and check out the Hoover Boys. They have been using this the past couple of episodes and have been doing amazingly well.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go on YouTube and check out the Hoover Boys. They have been using this the past couple of episodes and have been doing amazingly well.

Thanks for the shout-out! It is a beast of a machine. It's not the toy we would take out first at a new site, but is amazing for those pounded sites we know very well. We will be using them in really bad ground soon, hoping to save some CW relics. Good luck with it SuperiorDigger. Takes a bit of getting used to, but is a great tool to have.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the videos too, decent results. A lot of trash to dig too but possibly worth it in a once productive location. Granted trying to find small coins with a PI machine is more of a challenge than trying to find larger metal targets so I can't see it failing in that regard.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 and White's TRX pp, Garrett 400, Pro Pinpointer II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, wondering what you guys think. I Currently have a Garrett 400 and considering buying a new detector. Garrett ATX or the cheaper Minelab 600? Want a good all around detector for beach, sand and soil like here in SE Michigan. I understand the ATX is a true multi-use machine and like the way it folds up. But finding them hard to compare, and wondering if it is worth the money. What do you think?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
James, get the minelab. The ATX is a heavy machine and not a good all around machine like the EQ600.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for your input. Minelab is much cheaper. Wondering, the minelab does not look collapsible. Also, do you think the Minelab 800 is worth the difference in the price? I understand that in multi mode, the 600 searches the higher frequencies that the 800 has as independent frequencies. 20 and 40 kz. True???

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
The Minelab is not fully collapsible, but it will shorten up a bit, maybe 36"?

Yes the 800 is worth the extra over the 600.

I have the 600, and there has been plenty of times I wish I could tweak an adjustment that just isnt on my 600. Plus you get a decent set of headphones. I don't feel bad having the 600, and it's just as capable. The differences arent really in the performance of the machine, but mostly the user settings for tones and discrimination. There are some additional settings for technicals but they aren't anything i've ever cared about. I 'm not gonna sell it to upgrade, but I wish I would have gotten it in the first place.

You have the frequency idea correct.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, thanks for responding. Yes. I get the frequency thing. Sounds like multi frequency mode on the 600 covers the additional frequencies on the 800 for gold. I think its 20 and 40 hz. Right? I am on the brink of purchasing one of these. Currently, and until the end of the month you can get the 600 with the 8 inch coil here in Michigan anyway. Do you have additional coils and do you use them??? Notice any differences? I have to go out and inspect the snow damage in my driveway, check back later. And, thanks again for responding A#1.
JT

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, thanks for responding. Yes. I get the frequency thing. Sounds like multi frequency mode on the 600 covers the additional frequencies on the 800 for gold. I think its 20 and 40 hz. Right? I am on the brink of purchasing one of these. Currently, and until the end of the month you can get the 600 with the 8 inch coil here in Michigan anyway. Do you have additional coils and do you use them??? Notice any differences? I have to go out and inspect the snow damage in my driveway, check back later. And, thanks again for responding A#1.
JT

Welcome

Yeh, 20 and 40 for gold. I really haven't ever detected specifically for gold, so never really cared about that limitation. Although Toecutter has motivated me to start doing some swimming holes in the springtime so things could change.

I only use the stock 11 inch coil, but my reasoning is my own. I dont wanna pay for another size. I have other hobbies that I'd spend money on first, or other parts of this hobby. Nothing has convinced me I need one, and it's just not justifiable to me. A smaller coil sounds great in trashy areas that i don't really go to. A bigger coil sounds great too for covering ground faster, but it will just annoy the hell outta me getting snagged up and not fitting into the undergrowth common to the places I go.

jamest64

Jan 15, 2020
Near Ann Arbor Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A#1 told me toecutter uses a minelab pp. Considering one. How can I get a hold of him to see how he likes it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread