Recommendations for a larger coil for Garrett AT Gold

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT-Gold comes with the 5x8" DD coil is very good for smaller targets and discriminates well. I'd like to purchase a larger coil for deeper searches for coin-sized targets or larger in mineralized ground that has a lot of ferrous targets such as nails and bits of cans. I've learned that 5x8" does a good job finding non-ferrous masked by the ferrous debris if one pays attention to the sounds from the AT-Gold. I think a larger DD coil would be best since it helps with the mineralization and discrimination. Does anyone have a recommendation on a relic/coin coil for deeper targets? These are the candidates I've found on the net:
Garrett 8.5x11" DD
Cors Scout 8.5x12.5"
Cors Strike 12x13" DD
Nel Hunter 8.5x12" DD
Nel Thunder 10.5x14.5" DD
Nel Tornado 12x13" DD

Thanks, Ed

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I bought a 15" NEL for the pro and I wish I hadn't. I don't see any real extra depth, just a big heavy coil that makes pinpointing a little difficult.
I'd go with the stock 8.5 x 11, however, I don't have any experience with the other aftermarket coils you listed.

OP
OP
E

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a 15" NEL for the pro and I wish I hadn't. I don't see any real extra depth, just a big heavy coil that makes pinpointing a little difficult.
I'd go with the stock 8.5 x 11, however, I don't have any experience with the other aftermarket coils you listed.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the Garrett 8.5x11 DD may be my least risk approach and I like the Garrett construction.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own an AT Gold but haven't bought a large coil, either. I can't make any recommendations but something makes me think you might want to ask around about the CORS. The old adage is that the giant coils are more hassle, so I would consider that and maybe go down one size. If you feel miserable when swinging one, you just aren't going to use it as often. But they do make straps and a second hand-hold bar. You'd have to check around to find one. Not even sure if they have one to fit the Gold, but probably so.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detech Ultimate 13”. Is a great coil and lighter than stock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread