Garrett AT Max AT Pro coil question

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of confusing info out there whether the AT Pro coils are designed to also be used on the AT Max and vice versa. I know that the CAN be used but are they designed to give you the best performance? The AT Pro operated on 15kHz whereas the AT max operates on 13.6 kHz.
If you look at some of the aftermarket coils they sate that you cannot use their coil from the AT Pro on the AT Max so there must be something different enough that it would affect then performance.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I understand, the Garrett brand coils are interchangeable between the 2 machines, not sure about aftermarket coils.
Another member here(forget who) praises the NEL series with the max, but I haven’t gone there.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I contacted Garrett customer service about AT-Pro, AT Gold and Nel coils if they would work on the AT Max. Below is Hilda Bardales reply.

"Thanks, for being a Garrett customer, At Pro and At Gold coils work with the At Max, regarding the NEL coil since is not a Garrett product We know works fine with At Pro and At Gold but We can’t guaranty will work with the At Max."

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know!!!!!1

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought the NEL Thunder and it doesn’t work right on the AT Max. I might try it on my Pro and see if it’s different.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I contacted Garrett customer service about AT-Pro, AT Gold and Nel coils if they would work on the AT Max. Below is Hilda Bardales reply.

"Thanks, for being a Garrett customer, At Pro and At Gold coils work with the At Max, regarding the NEL coil since is not a Garrett product We know works fine with At Pro and At Gold but We can’t guaranty will work with the At Max."

This is correct. Pro coils work with ALL pro models, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX and Garrett AT Gold. Ace Series only swap with Ace series machines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread