ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wire should have just enough play to move up and down 45 degrees.

Run coil wire up and away from coil to just above first shaft joint before coiling wire up.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilWrap.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
People tell me I'm wrapped too tight. :skullflag:

Attachments

• wrap.jpg
    wrap.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 158
OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, thanks guys, I'll give how you guys are doing it a try. Thanks.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome, thanks guys, I'll give how you guys are doing it a try. Thanks.

Just know that their coil cables are from other manufacturers and yours will not look like theirs when you wrap it. Yours will look more like this.

Capture max.JPG

OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just know that their coil cables are from other manufacturers and yours will not look like theirs when you wrap it. Yours will look more like this.

View attachment 1547012

Ok, that IS how I have it now. Leave it like this?

Now the manual doesn't says how tight to wrap it. Mine isn't floppy by any means, but I could wrap it a little tighter. Is it more trial and error or is tighter better?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wrap mine like Loco-Digger is showing in the drawing snug to the shaft.

I also have support that I need to add to both my control boxes, I ordered a support that is 3-D printed helps keep the control box from breaking off. Have the supports for both the Max and the Pro just lazy about getting them on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Armor9

Armor9

Nov 9, 2017
Lorain County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT Max, Makro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wrap mine like Loco-Digger is showing in the drawing snug to the shaft.

I also have support that I need to add to both my control boxes, I ordered a support that is 3-D printed helps keep the control box from breaking off. Have the supports for both the Max and the Pro just lazy about getting them on.

Is the control box breaking off often an issue?? ???

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You want a little play on the coil end so when you need to adjust your coil angle you can without putting any stress where the cable is mounted to the coil. .

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is the control box breaking off often an issue?? ???

I do not think it is a major issue, but there are a couple small screws and plastic stand off that will break off if it hit the ground just right. The cost of the supports were $25.00 each, they are easy to put on. I can PM you link, I'm at work and have a metal detecting club meeting tonight but I will try to find the link and PM you the link where I bought my supports.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pictures both Terry and myself posted are "advanced" tech for a lack of a better description.

Other wrap pictured in Loco's post is considered the traditional way.

Not to take full credit for "new way" but I have to say that I came up with over 15 years ago on my own.

Wrap how you want... just leave slack.

Tweaking detectors sens over the years led me to remove as much interference from coil proximity... even if it seems trivial... it is not.

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The pictures both Terry and myself posted are "advanced" tech for a lack of a better description.

Other wrap pictured in Loco's post is considered the traditional way.

Not to take full credit for "new way" but I have to say that I came up with that over 15 years ago on my own.

Wrap how you want... just leave slack.

Tweaking detectors sens over the years led me to remove as much interference from coil proximity... even if it seems trivial... it is not.

AARC I appreciate you and Terry showing the advanced method. :notworthy: This is his first machine and I don't believe he has taken it out for a hunt yet. Let's get him up an running so he can learn the basics. :thumbsup: (Metal Detecting 101).

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CoilWrapInstructions.jpg

Traditional wire wrap instructions.

cutty

Sep 8, 2004
SE tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure if you live south of the equator you have to wrap it the opposite direction or the signal from your coil will be reversed and reverse dicrimination will happen....just sayin!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure if you live south of the equator you have to wrap it the opposite direction or the signal from your coil will be reversed and reverse dicrimination will happen....just sayin!

lol

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
I've always used velcro strips above the coil to keep the wire from flopping. Wrap it fairly tight on up but not too much tension near the control box.
I don't want floppy wires and I don't want wire wrapped as tight as Dick's hat band. LOL, a pic is indeed worth a thousand words.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread