Do You Think That The Modern Cell Phone Usage Has Effected The Coin and Jewelry Finds

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I never grew up with cell phones.....I partied like everyone else, camped, hunted, went to concerts, played baseball, fished, all without being attached to a cell phone. So many people spend sooooo much time talking/texting during their spare time these days.

Are cell phones a means to create larger gatherings for social events, or do people not go out as much in groups, as they are in constant contact with everyone? This would have a direct effect on the amount of fresh drops occuring.

I guess you could probable interchange the words social media (Facebook) to replace the word cellphone.

What do you think? th_thinking1.gif

Does-anyone-remember-that-one-time.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think they go out as much. Half the time I see people in the mall, they are not talking to each other in their group but are on the phones.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think it's more people using the card instead of cash than cell phones. How many times have you been in line at like 7/11 and watched someone whip out the card for a soda or a bag of chips? Hardly anyone around here carries cash or coin. Next time you go to a restaurant look at how many families are all tappity tapping & never say a word to each other? What's really sad is when you see a kid tapping away and his sibling across the table nods or laughs! Crip he's right across from you not in the next state!!!

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have an excellent point.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
back in the day items were cheaper and you had more change especially at fairs where now everything is almost rounded to the nearest Dollar. Hard to lose change from a hole in the pocket when you have less chance of acquiring change from a transaction also the fact that plastic is used more and more everywhere, no change, just a receipt.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My suspicion round here is that tattoo's replaced jewelry for many during the past couple generations..
Cell phones and plastic cards rule the day.
Distraction from multitasking while staring at the phone could up drops ,but less exists to drop.

I still recall the carnival "game" of dimes being tossed onto varied glassware trying to land a coin on an item.
Those nightime "clink" bounces still haunt me....
Old sites where lots of people gathered for a short time ,or a few people gathered often : still appeal more than modern mobs....Though their sites still get checked now and then for warming up/practice runs.

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really think this is a thing. Cell phones lock peple away for the most part in my opinion(currently writing on a damn cell phone) so more time spent locked up means less time going to the beach or the park or just doing stuff. The point made about tattoos is interesting and can see the decline in jewlry popularity in many places. All the cool kids would rather spend their dough on fresh tats or newer phones than jewlery........except for me but im not very cool.......i like to spend mine on metal detectors and prospecting stuff. The plus side is finding phones if your quick. I went to a blues fest on new years and there was a big crowd and the next day i found my only working electronics find so far, a fancy pedometer/heart rate moniter/watch. Had 90% left on the battery but i sure wish they lost the charger too. Found tons of jacked phones but odds are one day i will get one that still turns on. Cell phones in asia are an epidemic. Alot of people really imagine life without them as unbearable which i think is sad personally. Whenever i have a boss which is not very often i tell them i dont have a phone.......so they give me one!

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Its true that people don't go out as much, but in compensation, they are constantly distracted. Not good on the highway, but beaches and playgrounds probably have a lot more lost and found items. And more in the sand too.
Yes, people don't get as much change to lose, but they also get annoyed carrying it around, and many just toss it. Not that the mint can tell either, They still mint coins by the billions.
Every sword has two edges

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions