AT Max Falsing issue.... Help!

jdean

Jun 18, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Past- Whites DFX, Whites Spectra V3, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250 - Currently XP DEUS & Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I have a brand new AT Max that I bought 2 weeks ago that maybe has 15 hours on it. It has been great until yesterday when I noticed that almost all signals seemed to "bounce" high tone no matter what it was. Then tonight, I noticed a "chatter" starting, and about an hour later it was full blown falsing all over the place. I had to turn the sensitivity down to 3 bars from the bottom. If I go to 4 bars it starts falsing terribly. I tried 3 coils on it, I tried different frequencies, new batteries, etc. I think I am going to return it to Cabelas tomorrow and get a refund. My AT Pro started falsing about 2 years after I got it, and it was the coil connection. I was hesitant of buying another AT detector, and now even more so.

Anyone have this issue? Easy fix? I don't want a detector that I have to send off every few months to get it repaired, but I love the ease of using the AT series. I'm stuck on this one. Opinions?

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After replacing the coils did you do a factory reset? Hold down the on/off button machine will reset to coins mode which is a factory reset. Sorry if you do as reset it does sound like you may have a connection issue at the control unit. I have AT-Pro and AT Max so far both have been very good detectors with no problems.

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wish I would have seen your post jdean, but my max is doing the same thing, a real problem for sure.

Carl

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Max is shipping out tomorrow.
Y’all got me paranoid... lol
Keeping fingers crossed.. 🤞🏻

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My AT Max is shipping out tomorrow.
Y’all got me paranoid... lol
Keeping fingers crossed.. ����

Well I finally got my AT Max, and it seemed ok at first, but now I have a few hours on it and it seems to be acting erratically as well.
-When Auto Ground Balancing, I can never get it to go completely silent no matter how long you hold the button, or what value it ends up setting itself at.
-Seems to be an awful lot of ping, pops, chirps and whatnot thats showing up as numbers 45-75 even if i have those notches all removed.
-Ive had several targets pinpointed to an area, it says its 2-3 inches deep, and i end up digging a hole quite a bit deeper and coming up empty.
I was very careful setting up the coil during setup, especially in regards to the connector, and wire wrap.
Ive tried Factory Reset several times, tied all the modes, and several custom setups and im starting to get a bit frustrated.
Next step is to call Garrett Tech Support, but I was wondering if anyone had gotten any resolution to the issues yall were seeing, especially the falsing.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was also acting crazy. it was the coil. They sent me a new one, no questions asked. Even included a shipping label to return the old one. With the new coil it’s as quiet as a mouse.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was also acting crazy. it was the coil. They sent me a new one, no questions asked. Even included a shipping label to return the old one. With the new coil it’s as quiet as a mouse.
Got off the Phone with Garrett's Tech Support earlier and they are sending me a new coil as well. Really hoping it solves my problem as well.

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it works as well for you as it is for me. A lot of people criticize the audio on the Max, but I think those are people that haven't taken the time or put in the effort to learn what it's saying to you. I don't claim to be an expert, as I just got mine in March. But the more I use it, the more distinctive nuances I'm hearing. I think this is going to be a great machine for those who like to listen, and not watch the screen (except in AM, where you pretty much have to check the screen as the tone is the same). I would liken it to the pops and crackles of a Tejon, but it's not pops and crackles. It's digitized nuances.

As for the iron audio, I'm finding it harsh through the speaker, but not nearly that bad through the head phones. I turn the volume up with iron audio on, just to the volume level that the iron audio is at a comfortable level. Then all of the other audio is at a nice volume, for me anyway. I've been hunting with iron audio on about 50% of the time. Those non-ferrous targets "pop" noticeably compared to the iron audio.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it works as well for you as it is for me. A lot of people criticize the audio on the Max, but I think those are people that haven't taken the time or put in the effort to learn what it's saying to you. I don't claim to be an expert, as I just got mine in March. But the more I use it, the more distinctive nuances I'm hearing. I think this is going to be a great machine for those who like to listen, and not watch the screen (except in AM, where you pretty much have to check the screen as the tone is the same). I would liken it to the pops and crackles of a Tejon, but it's not pops and crackles. It's digitized nuances.

As for the iron audio, I'm finding it harsh through the speaker, but not nearly that bad through the head phones. I turn the volume up with iron audio on, just to the volume level that the iron audio is at a comfortable level. Then all of the other audio is at a nice volume, for me anyway. I've been hunting with iron audio on about 50% of the time. Those non-ferrous targets "pop" noticeably compared to the iron audio.

Thanks Me too...
I really like hunting with the Max so far, just need it to act right.. Really hoping the issue is resolved with the new Coil, but if not, ill be sending both coils and the unit in for replacement.
Garrett Tech Support was a pleasure to deal with.
I agree with you on the Iron Audio, pretty much everything on the Max is a giant leap forward for me coming from an ACE 250, so Im really looking forward to getting back out in the field soon.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I have a brand new AT Max that I bought 2 weeks ago that maybe has 15 hours on it. It has been great until yesterday when I noticed that almost all signals seemed to "bounce" high tone no matter what it was. Then tonight, I noticed a "chatter" starting, and about an hour later it was full blown falsing all over the place. I had to turn the sensitivity down to 3 bars from the bottom. If I go to 4 bars it starts falsing terribly. I tried 3 coils on it, I tried different frequencies, new batteries, etc. I think I am going to return it to Cabelas tomorrow and get a refund. My AT Pro started falsing about 2 years after I got it, and it was the coil connection. I was hesitant of buying another AT detector, and now even more so.

Anyone have this issue? Easy fix? I don't want a detector that I have to send off every few months to get it repaired, but I love the ease of using the AT series. I'm stuck on this one. Opinions?

jdean have you had any resolution to the Falsing issue you originally posted on yet?

Ghostpepper

Jul 28, 2013
Colfax, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of that issue on the AT Max. Glad to hear that some guys were able to send it off to get fixed and a free replacement. I myself have a Ace 250 with a New 5x8 DD coil that works 10x better than the stock coil.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never heard of that issue on the AT Max. Glad to hear that some guys were able to send it off to get fixed and a free replacement. I myself have a Ace 250 with a New 5x8 DD coil that works 10x better than the stock coil.

Do you have a link to that 5x8 DD for the AE 250, I might wanna get one for mine..

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got off the Phone with Garrett's Tech Support earlier and they are sending me a new coil as well. Really hoping it solves my problem as well.

New to the forum but have been detecting since the 80's. I've been a Whites user since I started...Needless to say, I bought an AT Max this week and the same thing has happened to me. Rusty at Garrett is sending me a new coil for mine. Took it out today and found several coins but the noise was ridiculous. I put was using the zero mode and had to turn the sensitivity down to three bars and notch everything below 70 to even hear a tone, even then I had chatter.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the forum but have been detecting since the 80's. I've been a Whites user since I started...Needless to say, I bought an AT Max this week and the same thing has happened to me. Rusty at Garrett is sending me a new coil for mine. Took it out today and found several coins but the noise was ridiculous. I put was using the zero mode and had to turn the sensitivity down to three bars and notch everything below 70 to even hear a tone, even then I had chatter.

Good luck.

muddyrock

Jun 19, 2016
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really starting to rethink my purchase of the max. After reading this post and the one below it kind of makes me wonder about this machine. I don't want a machine that is going to need repairs more than in use. I mostly only coin hunt at parks and dry sand at a couple of beaches. I have a alittle time o rethink my purchase before I can return it and go back with a ATPro:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread