dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am by no means an expert on the at max or any other machine, but I do know a problem when I see it lol, when I turn on my max it goes crazy making sounds and jumping all over the place all depth segments light up and and it gives me a reading between 30 and 45 super fast, it does this in all modes, did not do it when I first bought it less than a month ago, any help would be great.

Carl

p.s. when I turn the sensitivity down to 3 bars it stops, at 4 bars its not as loud as the higher bars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just read a post from jdean and seems he is having the same issue with his max, lets hope this isn't contagious.

Carl

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have the standard at pro. Never had that happen. Don't know a thing about the max. Is there a factory reset on that machine? If so mash that button. Hope you get it working. I need help digging all these pull tads.:laughing7:

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol rook3434, yes I did a factory reset and that did not help the problem, and yes I cant wait to dig my own pull tabs.

Carl

the lama

Greenie
Mar 19, 2017
Detector(s) used
at pro,cz21,infinium,ace 350,f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the coil wire loose

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the coil wire loose

yes sir, I checked to make sure it was not to tight, and after doing a internet search it seems this issue can be found in the at pro as well, some are fixed with new coils and some are not, I have a 5x8 being delivered tomorrow so I will see if it is the coil and will give Garrett a call in the morning.

Carl

coil wire to the head unit is tight, but lose around the shaft, not sure how you meant it lol.

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes sir, I checked to make sure it was not to tight, and after doing a internet search it seems this issue can be found in the at pro as well, some are fixed with new coils and some are not, I have a 5x8 being delivered tomorrow so I will see if it is the coil and will give Garrett a call in the morning.

Carl

coil wire to the head unit is tight, but lose around the shaft, not sure how you meant it lol.

Main thing if the connection to the box is tight. I know it pain in the rear to discount the plug at control box but, make sure the pins are not bent at the control box connector. As far as loose around shaft, if wire is loose around the shaft could cause erratic readings when swinging the coil, I keep my coil wire snug to the shaft. Sounds like you have a coil problem, I have the Max and the Pro and have not had a problem. One thing that I have found that will cause the Max and the Pro to go crazy is cell phone, I've got to where I leave my cell phone in the car, if you have a phone close to control box might try moving the phone away from the control box.

Good Luck, you will like the 5 X 8 coil

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put the new 5x8 coil on the max and it DID NOT fix the problem, I talked to Garrett today and without coming out and saying theirs a problem they said I am not the only one with this issue, we were both hoping that the new coil would fix the problem, so I guess the next step is return for another one, I am a huge Garrett fan, so they do get another chance.

Carl

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of experience with this. And I think I’ve gotten a handle on it.

I have sent my at max to Garett and gotten it returned. Not sure if they did anything...

Basically the symptoms are like others have said, is that it makes crazy noises even all the way down to the lower sensitivity and it’s usually right when you turn it on. Of course check for everything else that everyone has said, like checking cable.

When you turn it on it will have the same sensitivity settings as you left. For whatever reason it doesn’t like to be turned on in a new spot with high sensitivity so I turn the sensitivity all the way down power off usually move location make sure there’s nothing around. And then I turn it back on and I turn the sensitivity up as high as I can go, without it popping in chirping, I do a ground balance. Sometimes I’ll do a ground balance with the sensitivity down lower. This is how I I’ve dealt with my 80 Max issues. Running it out for sensitivity isn’t the norm, like it is on my at pro

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Ordered an AT Max yesterday and can’t wait to get my hands on it. Just read this thread and now I’m Really hoping there isn’t some kinda factory defect that I’ll have to deal with. Oh well. Guess I’ll find out.
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buck8point, I got a new max shipped from Garrett today, their customer service is great, hope this one is better than the last, it did not start acting up until maybe being used an hour or so.
Hope you enjoy yours.

Carl

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my Max 2 weeks ago, went hunting for 2 hours, worked great. I hunt a civil war battlefield and wanted to get a reading on what a cannonball registered. Went to a neighbor who had one and used the detector on it laying in the grass, read 43-44 and another read 46-50, both real strong signals, and as I was sweeping over the second one, my Max went crazy and it won't quit. Numbers bouncing all over the board at 90 mph, depth meter going berzerk, same as what you describe. Tried new batteries, factory reset, ground balance, frequency etc... Called Garrett and they suggested bad coil too. Got a buddy coming over in few minutes who has a pro, we're going to hook his coil up and see if it continues. Garrett said if that fixed it, they'd ship me out a new coil, and to call back with results. Sounds like excellent customer service, but I expected more than an hour and half running time before problems came up. Did a google search and found your problem. Any news on yours yet? I talked with "Hilda" extension 725, that who you talked with?

Last edited:

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update, I tried another coil and it did not fix my Max. It was still crazy, so must be in the head. Will call Garrett tomorrow and see what they say.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Reaper, it sounds like they have an issue with the max, I received my new one yesterday and had it out about a half hour with no issues, but mine did just what yours is doing, Garrett sent me a new one, so I hope this one is ok, time will tell, good luck.

Red Reaper

Greenie
Apr 25, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is leaving here via UPS today to go back to the factory for them to work on it and send it back within 10 working days after arrival. I asked them if they have had a bad batch of these with similar problems or was this a common problem, and the two people I talked to acted like it's the first they've heard of the problem. Can't be, there are 3 people on this thread alone with the same issue. I hope they send me a new one instead of basically giving me a refurbished one (mine back after surgery).

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buck8point, I got a new max shipped from Garrett today, their customer service is great, hope this one is better than the last, it did not start acting up until maybe being used an hour or so.
Hope you enjoy yours.

Carl

Got mine in yesterday and gave it a run, and im very pleased so far... Its a huge jump from the ACE 250, gonna give it a real good run over the weekend, hope to report back that all is well. Keep us in the loop on how the problem you are having is going, and if a resolution is found, with Garrett Support or whatever else.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red Reaper, I would tell them you want a new one, you have had it less than a month, from what I get from Garrett they seem very easy to work with and very willing to make you happy, that's huge in my book.

Bartfish

Apr 26, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My max will be here Friday should i just send it back and not open it?

Last edited:

glenn37216

Apr 8, 2012
Hendersonville , TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, FISHER F75 Limited Edition, Teknetics EuroTek Pro, Garrett Ace150, 250,400i, Minelabs E-trac, Minelabs Equinox 600, Whites 6000D, DFX Pro,Bounty Hunter All -out of text space.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's definitely a know issue with that detector having random crazy signals. I used an earlier hardware version from a known Garrett sponsored youtuber and his was doing the same thing. Which , BTW is what lead me to buying the AT PRO instead. It's been rock solid and never once given me crazy ghost signals like I experienced using the Max.

OP
OP
D

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My max will be here Friday should i just send it back and not open it?

lmao, I think you will be ok Bartfish, they cant all be bad. I am sure Garrett is working on it .

Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread