Again, The Garrett AT Series Have Proven Themselves As Excellent Coin/Jewelry Hunters

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
dec8.jpg

Using a concentric coil, both AT's easily distinguish the difference between a bottle cap and coin. Canadian clad coins bounce around 40's to 70's, with a sort of squelch sound. Hunting with iron audio set to about 35 in discriminate mode quickly alerts you to a coin. I just use my pin-pointer to locate the coin, then pop it up with a screwdriver as quick as I can, then move on to my next target. The concentric coil also has the ability to pick out coins in trash areas. I just raise the coil to about 4 inches in these areas.

I again,this year I bought a nice gold coin with my clad from Austria, to add to my gold coin collection. Been buying them for over 20 years.

dec8a.jpg

My ring finds were down this year, as the forest fires west of Edmonton created so much smoke, that our beaches were basically empty this year! I did score a nice 18K gold honker ring weighing 14.2 grams. Because the beaches were empty, I did a lot of gold prospecting this summer to supplement my gold finds. When I do hunt freshwater, I prefer to hunt with the AT Max, large 9" x 12" concentric coil in true all metal mode, with the iron audio turned up to 40, to alert me of iron junk verses a nice clear signal, with a decent VDI number in the 50's for gold or 80's for silver.

dec8b.jpg

Here's my silver and old copper finds. I love using the 5" x 8" coil in the woods. Hearing a nice high pitch audio, with a VDI in the 80's is just music to my ears! Again, I like to hunt with the iron audio turned on so as I can just focus on higher conductive targets, getting me silver or copper, and leaving the mostly iron junk targets in the ground.

decc.jpg

My relics are limited in my area. It was initially populated in the mid 1800. No civil wars, so I just don't have sites giving up a lot of 3 ringers or mini balls. That's not to say they don't exist, as I do occasionally find them. There are some dump sites which have also given up some nice old bottles. Anyhow, here are the few finds from the woods or river finds from prospecting/digging gravel out of the North Saskatchewan River, which has it's beginnings in the Rockies and flows through down-town Edmonton. Like most large rivers, it was at one time an important way to travel to and from many locations with canoes. The Hudson's Bay Company had many posts in and around Edmonton.

I am truly blessed with this river, as it has given up many old coins, relics and flour gold. I bet the hobby of metal detecting and prospecting will extra add years of health and enjoyment out doors as well as good times shared with friend!

Below is the flower gold I got this year prospecting. I am going to dry the pan over night and weigh the gold in the morning!

decd.jpg

BigDaddyDave

Nov 13, 2018
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Patriot, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John! Thanks for the info! I use the Max and primarily hunt old parks with significant trash. My question for you is, the concentric coil is only available apparently for the AT Pro. Are they usable on the Max without any loss in performance? I've never had the Pro and cannot find anything specifically saying they can be interchanged. I've been using the stock dd, Nel Tornado and Sharpshooter. My thoughts are I may get better depth and target id with the concentric. Would you agree with that? Thanks for any advice in advance.������

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a very productive year, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread