ATMax and Batteries

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI I went to replace the batteries in mine today. They looked to be OEM ones. Turned the latch and the battery carrier comes out, R&R battery set and went to put carrier back in, no markings up or down or arrow. Went in one way, nope it does not power up flipped over carrier and bingo it works.

So for you first time folks when you slide out the battery carrier put a little tape or mark on the top side. Gee you think Garrett would have done that for you?

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or just look at the shape of the end you turn...

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI I went to replace the batteries in mine today. They looked to be OEM ones. Turned the latch and the battery carrier comes out, R&R battery set and went to put carrier back in, no markings up or down or arrow. Went in one way, nope it does not power up flipped over carrier and bingo it works.

So for you first time folks when you slide out the battery carrier put a little tape or mark on the top side. Gee you think Garrett would have done that for you?
I painted a red arrow on one end so I know which way goes in first and which side up.

OP
OP
W

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or just look at the shape of the end you turn...

Its the same shape either way. No markings, no arrow nuttin and it can go in upside down. You must not have a Max otherwise you would know. GameofTones has a good idea. I just scratched TOP on mine.

The removable O ring top only goes on one way.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you look inside it is obvious which way they go in. If you forget, place the batteries in but don't put the cover on and hold them in with a finger and turn on the machine. If it doesn't come on you know you need to reverse them before putting the cover on. The removable O ring cover will go on the correct way and the opposite way. I've got 5000 plus hours in with these machines and none of my battery holders are marked up and I have 6 of them.
Whew...this is hard! I think I'll go do some brain surgery now.

OP
OP
W

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you would find it difficult to put this cover on the opposite way! The battery holder can go in either way... thats why others not just me have it marked to make it simple and not waste time. I simply marked mine just now with a bit of colored vinyl tape, something Garrett could of done.

IMG_4153.JPG

Last edited:

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an AT Max a couple of weeks ago and really like it but find that it chews through batteries much faster than my Fisher 75 Ltd

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Apparently you have never taken it off, turned it 180 and then put it back on! I have many times and it goes on just as easy as the correct way. Again 5000 plus hours in with these machines. If I was actually a brain surgeon, would you believe me then? lol
It goes on either way, just as easy, and won't effect performance.

OP
OP
W

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Apparently you have never taken it off, turned it 180 and then put it back on! I have many times and it goes on just as easy as the correct way. Again 5000 plus hours in with these machines. If I was actually a brain surgeon, would you believe me then? lol
It goes on either way, just as easy, and won't effect performance.

LOL the qualifications for brain surgeon in Colorado must be pretty low if you can't see this difference!! See the picture above for the correct way. PS My surgeon was educated in Canada and went on to teach in New York State as he had his PhD. Great guy and he saved my life.

CoverWrong.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got an AT Max a couple of weeks ago and really like it but find that it chews through batteries much faster than my Fisher 75 Ltd

I always use Duracells in my machines, maybe you have another brand up there that are just as good? Frankly I have not used my detector enough to even start to learn.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I never said I couldn't see the difference. You said; "you would find it difficult to put this cover on the opposite way". I said it goes on either way just as easy.

Do you know what IOWA stands for? LOL

OP
OP
W

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never said I couldn't see the difference. You said; "you would find it difficult to put this cover on the opposite way". I said it goes on either way just as easy.

Well, any fool can see it does not fit, so how long did you leave yours put together wrong? LOL.

Oh never mind it looks like you did it more than once!!
apparently you have never taken it off, turned it 180 and then put it back on! I have many times and it goes on just as easy as the correct way. Again 5000 plus hours in with these machines.
LOL looks like your a very slow learner as I never did it once as you can see it only fits one way.

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I also said; "It goes on either way, just as easy, and won't effect performance." Yes, I have left it in the opposite way and used it until I needed new batteries again. Which by the way is as easy as sitting down. (The whole reason you posted this thread! LOL)
Apparently Garrett didn't figure it necessary to mark the battery tray. Some folks just don't get it and love to complain about stupid stuff.
Interesting that you say, again, that it only fits one way while posting a pic of it in the opposite way. I guess I should cut you some slack as maybe that doc you spoke of misplaced something. LOL
In your IOWA mind I'm a slow learner and I can live with that. I'm sure you will be just fine as well even with your limited reading skills.

OP
OP
W

wmgeorge

Mar 4, 2013
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You really can not fix stupid and I give up trying with you.

Last edited:

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read 14 post to learn how the battery cover end cap goes on? Geeezz!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread