Short Battery Life With AT MAX

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm wondering what kind of battery life others are getting with their AT MAX. Mine has been going through a set of batteries in 7-8 hours. The Garrett Instructional video claims it will get "up to" 20 hours. My AT Pro gets 22-24 hours. Is it my detector or are all AT MAX detectors eating batteries ? I've invested in rechargeables because I don't want to change batteries every weekend.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill tell ya I bought the rachargible battery pack for my AT made just for the AT never had that problem again the charge lasts at least a couple hunts though I always charge the night before but you will save a small fortune on batteries trust me on this Tommy

dute

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2018
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm IV with 9 inch spider coil
Contemplating getting an AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed it was getting shorter battery life right before it malfunctioned and started chirping all over the place. I sent it back under warranty and since they repaired it I have not had a problem with the battery life at all. One thing to check is to make sure that if you’re using the back light you turn that off when you don’t need it. Also, use the highest quality batteries you can, the cheap batteries tend to wear out quickly, better quality batteries last a week or so.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed it was getting shorter battery life right before it malfunctioned and started chirping all over the place. I sent it back under warranty and since they repaired it I have not had a problem with the battery life at all. One thing to check is to make sure that if you’re using the back light you turn that off when you don’t need it. Also, use the highest quality batteries you can, the cheap batteries tend to wear out quickly, better quality batteries last a week or so.

Thanks for the input. The detector was stable and not chirping but I'll see what happens next time out with new rechargeable batteries. I haven't used the backlight yet but I know that would help to drain the batteries. I'd hate to have to send it back.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of rechargeable batteries are you using? And are your AT Pro times of 22-24 hours using alkaline cells or the same rechargeables that give you only 7-8 hours in your AT Max? If using nickel based cells, getting 1/3 the runtime of high quality alkalines might be normal.

My understanding is that the AT Max runs off of 6 volts. With fresh-off-the-charger NiMH AA cells, you'll get at most 1.4 volts per cell. And after a few hours, probably closer to 1.35 volts per cell. So that means with "fresh" batteries, your voltage is 5.4 this will be 10% "less" than fresh alkaline cells.

Also, keep in mind that for most NiMH cells, you can consider them "dead" with a recharge needed when they hit 0.9 volts per cell. That means they're giving the AT Max 3.6 volts - almost half of what 4 new alkaline cells should be providing. So most likely, the AT Max will signal low battery (or not run at all) even if the NiMH cells still have a good bit of power left in them.

EDIT: There's also the self-discharge effect where cells will gradually lose their charge over time. LSD cells, like Eneloops have a minimal self-discharge rate...like 10% over a year, while most NiMHs would be completely dead after one year in storage.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use the one on the link I provided made for the AT PRO SPECIFIALLY

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of rechargeable batteries are you using? And are your AT Pro times of 22-24 hours using alkaline cells or the same rechargeables that give you only 7-8 hours in your AT Max? If using nickel based cells, getting 1/3 the runtime of high quality alkalines might be normal.

My understanding is that the AT Max runs off of 6 volts. With fresh-off-the-charger NiMH AA cells, you'll get at most 1.4 volts per cell. And after a few hours, probably closer to 1.35 volts per cell. So that means with "fresh" batteries, your voltage is 5.4 this will be 10% "less" than fresh alkaline cells.

Also, keep in mind that for most NiMH cells, you can consider them "dead" with a recharge needed when they hit 0.9 volts per cell. That means they're giving the AT Max 3.6 volts - almost half of what 4 new alkaline cells should be providing. So most likely, the AT Max will signal low battery (or not run at all) even if the NiMH cells still have a good bit of power left in them.

EDIT: There's also the self-discharge effect where cells will gradually lose their charge over time. LSD cells, like Eneloops have a minimal self-discharge rate...like 10% over a year, while most NiMHs would be completely dead after one year in storage.

I think you've kind of mis-read my post. My AT Pro was getting 22-24 hours on a set of four conventional batteries. When I started using the Max it was getting 7-8 hours on the same kind of conventional batteries so I've invested in rechargeables which I have yet to use. When my hunt season begins I'll be using the Eneloops rechargeables.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did misread your post, sorry.

Yeah, a 66% drop off in run time with the same batteries is very odd.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did misread your post, sorry.

Yeah, a 66% drop off in run time with the same batteries is very odd.

The Max has a built in wireless transmitter so I realize that battery life would be less than the Pro but I didn't think there'd be that much of a difference. Knowing that the rechargeables get shorter life than conventionals, I'm hoping I'll be able to get at least 6 hours before needing to recharge. I'll have a set of spares with me whenever I'm detecting to avoid having to cut a hunt short.

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I highly doubt the wireless transmitter is causing the battery issues...assuming it's working properly, of course.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I highly doubt the wireless transmitter is causing the battery issues...assuming it's working properly, of course.

The wireless transmitter runs off the batteries so it has to drain the batteries somewhat. Just like the backlight......

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The wireless transmitter runs off the batteries so it has to drain the batteries somewhat. Just like the backlight......

Sure, but it's not going to cut run time down by 66%.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, but it's not going to cut run time down by 66%.

which brings me back to my original post.....is it MY particular detector having some sort of problem or is it everybody?

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
which brings me back to my original post.....is it MY particular detector having some sort of problem or is it everybody?

Based on what you've said so far, it's your particular detector that's at issue. I could be wrong, but common sense tells me you don't go from 22-24 hours to 7-8 hours of run time just because you switch from an AT Pro to an AT Max.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed that my Garrett AT Max goes through batteries much faster than my AT Gold or AT Pro, but that is probably from sending/receiving a signal to/from the wireless headphones, as when I have used wired headphones the battery life increases quite a bit. Also, if you use the back-light a lot it will decrease your battery life as well.

However, if you are only getting 7-8 hours I would look hard the batteries you are using. If they are rechargeable batteries they may be at the end of their life cycle, if they are alkaline batteries they could be old, or an off brand. If that's not the case, there probably is something wrong with your detector, which Garrett will certainly fix for you.

OP
OP
Clad2Silver

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have noticed that my Garrett AT Max goes through batteries much faster than my AT Gold or AT Pro, but that is probably from sending/receiving a signal to/from the wireless headphones, as when I have used wired headphones the battery life increases quite a bit. Also, if you use the back-light a lot it will decrease your battery life as well.

However, if you are only getting 7-8 hours I would look hard the batteries you are using. If they are rechargeable batteries they may be at the end of their life cycle, if they are alkaline batteries they could be old, or an off brand. If that's not the case, there probably is something wrong with your detector, which Garrett will certainly fix for you.

The batteries were brand new Energizers. I don't use the backlight and I know that the transmitter will use more battery power but I was just wondering HOW MUCH difference that would make. The garrett video claims that the Max will get 20 hours on a set of regular batteries......

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I switched to Lithium...increased the time....expensive. So I now rechargeable. Not sure how many recharges one can take before it goes belly-up....Does anyone know?

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I switched to Lithium...increased the time....expensive. So I now rechargeable. Not sure how many recharges one can take before it goes belly-up....Does anyone know?

Depends on the battery chemistry and quality of cell.

Sanyo/Panasonic Eneloops are rated for 2,000+ cycles (most versions. Some of the higher performing types are rated at 500 cycles or so).

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy has it right, the RNB rechargeable batteries rule!! Well worth the investment if you like to hunt 20 hours without recharging or replacing batteries.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions