arm fatigue

OP
OP
J

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I thought I had responded to your post, but I don't see it. Maybe I forgot to hit "post reply" If i doubled up on replying, my apologies.
That is a fantastic idea! I made a sling for my weedeater, but the metal detector idea never occurred to me---you can bet I will be working on one before the night is over now though, thanks to you![/QUOTE

OOPS--I don't think I was supposed to include the pictures in your quote, but can't figure out how to delete them!

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a harness I use,with the bigger coil the AT Max since it is heavy to me. Now after doing metal detecting for 8 years,I ran across a guy that had the answer for pain relief (for me anyway!). I used to run my coil out as far as I could to try and cover a larger area. This in turn puts a strain on you arm and shoulder muscles holding the coil out above the ground. I now use my machines with a much shorter shaft length,keeping the coil just in front of my feet,letting the weight of the machine almost hang straight down. The difference is like night and day,no more shoulder pain at all. It takes me longer to cover the ground,but the difference in relief is well worth it. Hold a baseball bat straight out,with one hand,then let it hang straight down. You will get the idea fast,on how much diffrence it makes in comfort.

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher Goldbug, Whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A straight shaft helps with the ergonomics of swinging. I have a straight shaft and haven’t had as much fatigue since I have had it. I had tennis elbow with the curved shaft that took 8 months to recover from. The straight shaft doesn’t seem to torque the arm as much. I am worried about Garrett’s future if they don’t do something soon as far as a new modern design.

Forrest_217

Mar 11, 2021
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett Ace 200, Garrett pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a look at a product called the "Garrett Gizmo" it provides a little bit of counter balance to the coil.

rks1949

May 13, 2013
Lawrenceville,Il.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Max, Nokta Simplex +, Nokta Legend ,Garrett Pro Pointer , Fisher F Point, Garrett Digging Tool, Gator Razor, Digging Tool, Sampson Digger, Get the Track Hoe! It's a deep one! :)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Detector Buddy!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detector Buddy!
Like rks1949 said, get a harness of some kind, my excals, nox, ctx3030s all are equipped to be used with a harness, takes the weight of detector off your arm and puts it on your chest and shoulders. I always use a harness.

johnrab54

Greenie
Feb 27, 2020
Thomasville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just purchased a new AT Max, and I like it so far except that I am 73 years old, recovering from shoulder surgery, and experiencing severe arm fatigue after only 10 or 15 minutes of use, even with my good arm, Does anyone know the weight of the 5x8 coil compared to the weight of the 8.5x11 stock coil? If there is a significant difference, I think I am going to purchase the smaller one. I own several other brands of detectors and arm fatigue has never been this much of a problem with them.
Also, a technical question--Garrett advertises American made products and in fact the box my detector came in reads "proudly made in the U.S.A." yet also on the detector, pinpointer, and headphone box as well as a sticker on the detector is the Chinese Export (CE) label. So which is it? Hopefully I didn't get some sort of Chinese knock-off did I? It was ordered from a huge well respected company. Thanks for your help!
I switched to the 5X8 coil and it does make a difference in arm fatigue.

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slings work great. In addition to home made there is the Minelab Pro-Swing 45 Harness. I got it to work just find w/ my White V3i. Detected for 4 1/2 hours yesterday non-stop. In addition to the sling and switching off arms religiously, I also stretch my arms, shoulders, legs & back before I begin. The older you get the more prep is needed.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jhamner From what you discribed with the max is the same as what I had with the 400. the short cuff and heavy standard coil just was not in tune with enjoyable detecting. I up graded to the smaller coil which made things a bit more bearable but compaired to other detectors in the same price range and with somewhat better function I switched and the 400 ended up on the shelf.​

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Ive decided to sell my Max that I purchased in November, just too heavy for my old arm unfortunately. Here is some interesting information I received from Garrett when I asked to confirm that the warranty is transferrable. They confirmed that the warranty is transferrable and I assumed that the warranty started from date of purchase. Garrett said no, the warranty to the person I selll it to starts on the day of manufacture, which in my case is August 2021, 3 months earlier. This info is not on their website that I could find. Disappointed in Garrett for moving the goal posts for the warranty.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, Ive decided to sell my Max that I purchased in November, just too heavy for my old arm unfortunately. Here is some interesting information I received from Garrett when I asked to confirm that the warranty is transferrable. They confirmed that the warranty is transferrable and I assumed that the warranty started from date of purchase. Garrett said no, the warranty to the person I selll it to starts on the day of manufacture, which in my case is August 2021, 3 months earlier. This info is not on their website that I could find. Disappointed in Garrett for moving the goal posts for the warranty.
That doesn't make any sense at all that the warranty starts on the day of manufacturing. So if it sat on the dealers shelf for a X amount of time that would be lost. Any company the warranty starts when it's registered. I'd be calling back and talking to a higher level of intelligence.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5X8 is a shoulder saver, after you swing it awhile throw the stock coil back on and you'll really be able to feel the difference. I often leave the 5X8 on when hunting fields even though I know I can't cover as much ground but prefer time on hunt and eventually covering the field vice getting worn out and frustrated.

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, after some back and forth by email, whom so ever buys my Max will have whats left of the warranty from when I purchased, not from date of manufacture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread