Target ID #’s

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Cdickrun64,

IMHO:

In "clean" soil to about 6" - 7" (sometimes more) dead-on and repeatable. After that you experience must guide you.

My dimes usually "ring up" in the 81-82 range, copper cents 80-81, nickels 53 as stated above, many times 51-53 (except war nickels, they hit for me a bit higher) in my soil.

I dig by tone with an occasional look at the screen for possible ID's and Depth for an iffy audio, but being a relic hunter I dig everything...you really never know!

Lastly, all machines are not 100% accurate with ID numbers and depth, use them as a guide; if at all.

GL & HH

Doc

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tone? Is there more than just good and bad? Can you tell a silver coin from a clad based solely on tone?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Doc!!

Not really in my experience (we are not talking Zinc cents).

My AT-Pro is still in the box , Stressed about learning a new machine.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really in my experience (we are not talking Zinc cents).

My AT-Pro is still in the box , Stressed about learning a new machine.

Don't let learning a new machine stress you out. They all take time to learn, usually about 100 hours to really get one down. -- Take a variety of good and bad targets out, lay them on the ground and run your new detector over them, see what the ring up as, and how they sound. After you get a feel for it, take the detector out on a real hunt. Don't worry about missing stuff; you will, with any detector. Go back and re-hunt the area after you have put 40 hours or so on the machine.

As for the original poster, a solid repeatable target ID is pretty accurate on the AT Pro, although the deeper a target is, the less accurate the target ID will be. Learn to listen to the tone; that will tell you TONS once you get it down...

Jesse James

Mar 14, 2012
Lancaster County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was out in the rain with a guy the other day. He told me his Mercury ID'd in the nickel range. Possibly wet soil?

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Def....i went out today....id #’s were off. Moisture must detort the signal

ArthurEvans

May 10, 2016
Ulster County, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Ace Apex;
Tesoro Tejón
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't seen much variation with fresh water myself, but salt water can be a big effect. If there are ions in the soil, that could do something similar, I would think. But I've seen more cases where ID #'s are affected by other nearby metals. In trashy soil, a sweep from one direction rings up one number, and a different direction gives a different number. With the DD coil, I try to maneuver the "blade" shaped field to avoid the trash and use small sweeps to get the clearest reading.

I use my ATP about half the time, and my Tesoro Tejón the rest... the Tesoros teach you to look for and depend on clean tones, and recognizing them make the ATP much more useful...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread