Back To The River For Gold , Then Detected The River & Tailings. Here's My Finds!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
DSC_0013 a.jpg

I was quite surprised to get all these finds. All in the river never the less! This area was good picnic grounds in the late 1800, and also flour gold prospecting back then.

DSC_0031 a.jpg

Close to the river's edge, deep in the sand, came this beautiful sterling silver salt shaker. I knew it was too heavy for aluminum, and was delighted to see a sterling silver stamp plus a silversmith's stamp! It doesn't get much better then this!
DSC_0017 a.jpg

How's this for an old cartridge! Enough power there to take down an elephant. Here's some info I got on the internet.

"It was fired in the Winchester 1886 Rifle & Carbine. Probably was available in the 1885 Hi-Wall as well. It was/is a powerful or heavy duty (as you call it) cartridge for big game and is still popular for Elk. It would certainly do a number on bigger bear as well. It is a center fire type and uses large rifle primers. With a magazine full of these cartridges in an 86 there wasn't too much that you had to be afraid of in North American woods."

DSC_0035  a.jpg

Because I shoveled gravel into my high banker for a good 4 hours, I managed to get a nice pile of petrified wood.

DSC_0046  a.jpg

And, the finest (pun intended) flour gold from the previous day prospecting, same stuff our early settlers searched for.

Nice to see metal detecting and prospecting both sharing the same terrain, and each getting their own great finds. :)

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
You must be out in the middle of nowhere, only two pull tabs. Nice assortment of finds. Are the coins mostly modern? Can you make wages using the high banker or is it just a hobby thing? Only thing I know about gold mining is the tv shows and what I read on here. I can't tell how big your pile of gold is or it's value. Good luck.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I think the river current deposits a lot of those pull tabs downstream. The place I prospected is a common area to launch kayaks and canoes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even oanning you cant avoid pop tops life would be better if people werent obsessed with pulling those off whats up with that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread