BarnFind

Greenie
Aug 17, 2018
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all. I'm still getting used to my AT PRO, used it about a dozen times now. I upgraded from an Ace 150, which was my starter detector, and really performed pretty well for being a budget machine. Anyway, I bought the PRO because I'd hoped to get better target ID, deeper signals, and also to not have to hear that damn bell chime sound again! I've been hunting in Pro Mode, using the Coins and Zero settings. My AT Pro seems to think all kinds of things are silver however, like a big No Trespassing sign I dug up, an old electrical cover plate, and may other targets that rang up in the low to high 90's consistently, without ever falling into the lower # range.

What gives? Why is my machine reading these items as 90's signals, when they're junk?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro-Mode All Metal is the best way to run it IMO.

as for those numbers, if its something solid and big, it will read up in the 90's close to overload.

I dig up heavy Iron and Brass ( Water Spigots, Plate Covers, etc)...And then of course Walkers and a Peace Dollar one time.

You should be able to raise your coil and get an idea of how big it is. If you are picking it up 10 inches off the ground and getting a solid hit, its something big. Whereas if you raised it a couple inches and it disappears, its something more promising.

Sounds alot that its just the area you are at. Have you been out to a "clean" area where you could just find typical clad?

Best of Luck man! That is an awesome machine. I still pick it over the CTX on some of my hunts.

OP
OP
B

BarnFind

Greenie
Aug 17, 2018
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro-Mode All Metal is the best way to run it IMO.

as for those numbers, if its something solid and big, it will read up in the 90's close to overload.

I dig up heavy Iron and Brass ( Water Spigots, Plate Covers, etc)...And then of course Walkers and a Peace Dollar one time.

You should be able to raise your coil and get an idea of how big it is. If you are picking it up 10 inches off the ground and getting a solid hit, its something big. Whereas if you raised it a couple inches and it disappears, its something more promising.

Sounds alot that its just the area you are at. Have you been out to a "clean" area where you could just find typical clad?

Best of Luck man! That is an awesome machine. I still pick it over the CTX on some of my hunts.

Hey Diggin, wow I didn't think an AT PRO could outperform a CTX! Which types of hunts work best with your Pro?

I've been hunting only at older spots lately in hopes of finding stuff the Ace 150 might have missed- 2 large home sites from the 1800's that are now plowed fields. So far I haven't gotten any amazing improvement over the Ace 150, but I'm hopeful that maybe I'm just not used to the machine yet.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Diggin, wow I didn't think an AT PRO could outperform a CTX! Which types of hunts work best with your Pro?

I've been hunting only at older spots lately in hopes of finding stuff the Ace 150 might have missed- 2 large home sites from the 1800's that are now plowed fields. So far I haven't gotten any amazing improvement over the Ace 150, but I'm hopeful that maybe I'm just not used to the machine yet.

I do think a lot of it is not being very familiar with the machine. When I transitioned from my ACE to the ATP, there were times I was on a new spot, and was worried I didnt know what the machine was telling me, so I would put it up and bring out the ACE. That happened a few times with the CTX too. Now, I feel like Im pretty good with my CTX.

I wouldn't say the ATP out performs the CTX, its just a lot quicker at retrieving targets.

So, when Im at an area where I have either limited time, or its "fresh", like a house teardown. I always grab the ATP and get as much as I can first, then go back low and slow with the CTX.

I will tell you thou, you are going to LOVE that machine. It's a solid MoFo!

Look forward to seeing your future finds! :occasion14:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would bury some coins at 6 to 8 " in an iron free zone and test it. Test all modes with disc., without, with iron audio, without. Manual GB. Maybe it'll workout. Good luck.

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Large Iron or steel targets will ring in with high tones. Typically very loud. I've found lots of horseshoes this way. You can tell the approximate target size by pinpointing with your coil edge. If your Pro is like mine .22 rim fire rifle casings will also sound great ! Bottle caps can also sound good but will have a slight grunt. You'll pick up on things as you use the Pro more. Search YouTube for AT Pro. There is a lot of instructional videos on there made by guy's like us that will give you good tips. Just like any detector there is a learning curve. You really need a solid 40 hours of detecting with the Pro to learn it. Work on proper ground balancing and run sensitivity as high as possible, but be warned that the pro can be a chatter box so make adjustments if the chatter is making lose your mind. I'm use to mine so the chatter is a given and it can be just setting on the ground and talk ( Chirping, Burbling, Farting ) away while I'm digging a hole but I run at Max sensitivity. If my Pro didn't chatter I'd think the batteries were dead !! The Pro is a formidable detector and once you learn it's language your good to go. I'm always reluctant to change detector brands or even models of the same brand because they all speak a different language and you have to learn that detectors language all over again. So stick with the Pro and learn what it's speaking but in the beginning it can be frustrating at times. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 16 inch cast steel sewer pipe 4 ' down in a parking lot will give some strange readings/// Perry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread