ATP NEL Tornado Coil Results ~ Odd readings....Halp?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ended up finding a really good deal on a new NEL Tornado coil for my ATP. I've been hunting mainly with the CTX, so I was excited to be using something different again.

One thing I noticed in air tests, were that the NEL coil was hitting targets from 14"-16" with no problems. I was stoked to go try some areas I have beat down in the past and see what I missed.

After about 2.5 hours of using it, I was whooped! it had a little more weight than I was used to.

One thing I did notice was how GOOD old bottle caps rang up!!

I counted at the end of the day 38 steel screw tops and out of those, about 85% of them read DEAD ON a Quarter Signal and wouldn't budge. No Iron grunt, no jumping around. It was just a sweet soft whistle and a solid 88.

Then there was a couple i remember that locked into a 92 from every direction I swung.

Is there something I need to do with the settings on my machine?

It was ground balanced and when I swung over a coin, nothing odd about the VDI or tones, etc.

I was just a little discouraged to see how much those things LOVED Iron.

Ihe place I tested was only 1 spot and its known for Iron. I will admit thou, I was plucking tiny scraps of pulltabs and iron from a good 14" easy...thank god for the last 2 months of rain.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Pretty well all DD coils will read bottle caps as coins. It's not just Garrett detectors. That's one of the reasons I hate and don't use DD coils. A concentric coil will show variable numbers, bouncing from 70's to 80's which help easily ID bottle caps. If NEl made a concentric coil, I would jump at it. The Nel DD coils would only be use in my style of hunting for deep targets, and I wouldn't pay too much attention to ID. Basically, if it's deep, dig it.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty well all DD coils will read bottle caps as coins. It's not just Garrett detectors. That's one of the reasons I hate and don't use DD coils. A concentric coil will show variable numbers, bouncing from 70's to 80's which help easily ID bottle caps. If NEl made a concentric coil, I would jump at it. The Nel DD coils would only be use in my style of hunting for deep targets, and I wouldn't pay too much attention to ID. Basically, if it's deep, dig it.

Thanks John, that is pretty much what I wanted to know. I remember when I first got the ATP , I was digging bottle caps because they were always dead on 80-81, but after a few months, I figured it out.

I wasnt sure if it was the same learning curve with the big coil...but it makes sense...if its deep, dig it.

thanks!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My son and daughter used to use ATP and ATG on Nel coils only. Never was a big fan my self, but for a 13 year old and 9 years old (back then) it was good for them. Wife and I taught them to dig it all no matter what.

Son tells me one day when he was like 14 that he had been using a stock coil for a week and noticed a differer in numbers. Said that with the stock coil it only took him 2 days hunting and he could say most the time what it would be, but over a year with the Nels he could only tells about 70% of the time what kind of trash it would be.

Him and his sister stayed on AT with Nels for a while, couple years guess, they left Garret products after the Max came out. Daughter went on to Tessoro and son picked up Minelab. To my knowledge they never looked back either. But man they would both kill it at the beaches in Italy using ATG with Nel coils on the dry sand, hand many days where they profited more than me. I just like to know what I am digging, or at least have a general idea, I will dig all, but want to know. Kids tell me that is just part of the fun, and that using Nel was good for those signals you would likely miss with a stock coil like thin silver or gold chains.

I have been hunting for decades, and sometimes it just feels odd listening to some kids explain some things about MDing, feels good to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread