Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would check here before I have to return it.
I've been using the machine, learning it. Had it about two months. I am careful with my stuff.
So yesterday it starts going off constantly. Did a factory reset, changed batteries. It will work for a few minutes then back to a continuous tone. Also after shutdown and turn back on it will do nothing. No tone over any metal object. Erratic behavior. Anyone have this happen?
Still like new. This is really making me question my choice of Garrett.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Mine did that about a month after I got it?...I just took the batteries out for a day and then tried it again...same thing. Then I read something (somewhere) and took them out for a couple days and replaced them. I think my problem was where I was trying to hunt...powerlines or something. But also I switched frequencies and have NEVER had the problem since. Just my 2 cents...

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
The frequency test I did was using the 9X12 concentric coil because that is what I have on the detector at the moment.
I doubt if it would be much different with the standard 8 1/2X11 DD coil.

Here are the actual frequencies:
F1 = 15,465 hz
F2 = 15,368 hz
F3 = 15,292 hz
F4 = 15,198 hz

Here is the frequency shifts:
F1 - F2 = 97 hz
F2 - F3 = 76 hz
F3 - F4 = 95 hz
F4 - F1 = 197 hz

As you can see the changes are small with the largest being between F1 and F4

I hope this sheds some light on the matter.

(copied from somewhere else)...:4leafclover:good luck

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The frequency test I did was using the 9X12 concentric coil because that is what I have on the detector at the moment.
I doubt if it would be much different with the standard 8 1/2X11 DD coil.

Here are the actual frequencies:
F1 = 15,465 hz
F2 = 15,368 hz
F3 = 15,292 hz
F4 = 15,198 hz

Here is the frequency shifts:
F1 - F2 = 97 hz
F2 - F3 = 76 hz
F3 - F4 = 95 hz
F4 - F1 = 197 hz

As you can see the changes are small with the largest being between F1 and F4

I hope this sheds some light on the matter.

(copied from somewhere else)...:4leafclover:good luck

Thanks! I'll try that. There are a couple of power lines I was right under when it started. Low ones going to the house. Hope that straightens out :)

just.neil

Dec 26, 2017
Texas
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter commando
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, it wouldn't hurt to call Garrett either. I hear they have great customer service and will know what to do, maybe a secret or something

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a coil cover on? Take it off and clean inside good. Could be something metallic caught in there causing the constant sounding off.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently won an AT PRO in a seeded hunt and have used it 7-8 times for a total of about 25 hours. First few times out it worked great but one time I took it out and it was giving me the high tone on discriminated items and singing out on almost every swing. Tried a number of things to no avail so I called it a day. That night I air tested it at home and it worked fine. Did it again the next morning and it was OK. Took it out into my yard and it worked OK. Went on my next hunt and it worked OK. Can't figure out what was making it go nutty that one time. There were no cell towers around nor were there any high tension lines anywhere.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I had those problems when I had the stock coil on. Would go crazy. Bought the small DD 5/8 coil and haven’t had a prob since. It’s the only coil I use on the Pro now. It’s awesome.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an issue like that and found out I was over a buried power line even though I had detected that area before this time a pump was running drawing power from the line at the time.It was probably electrical interference that caused your issue.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an issue like that and found out I was over a buried power line even though I had detected that area before this time a pump was running drawing power from the line at the time.It was probably electrical interference that caused your issue.

I called Garrett Monday afternoon. Talked to a really nice lady there. She said they would send a new coil out and see if that was the problem. Said try it for a few days and if it fixed it just send the old coil back. Coil arrived Wednesday. Put it on, did factory reset and it squeezed a little. Took the batteries out and replaced and it works fine so far.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure your coil wire runs over the front of your shaft not the back when wrapped.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: I run my coil wire straight up the lower shaft for about 12-14" taped every 3", then begin the wrap up to the control box...no problems! If fact, I use the same technique on all of my machines that have an external coil cable connection. :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
garett will do everything to help free amazing also make sure your pins are clean and many times the connector might come loose

OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO: I run my coil wire straight up the lower shaft for about 12-14" taped every 3", then begin the wrap up to the control box...no problems! If fact, I use the same technique on all of my machines that have an external coil cable connection. :icon_thumleft:

I'm gonna do that when I get my machine back. New coil seemed to fix it but next say or so it would not power on except to beep. Then the box completely died. So box and coils went back. Should be back in a day or so now. I must have got a bad one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread