Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious about the experiences of those who tried the 5 Ă— 8" DD coil Garrett offers for the Pro.
Some reviews said they had found coins they had missed with the stock coil. So I wonder if they.maybe missed those coins because of actual shortcomings in the stock coil.
They also seemed to think there was better separation in trashy areas.
I'm not considering buying one now-maybe down the road.
Also curious about any other aftermarket coils for the Pro.

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the AT Gold it comes stock with the 5x8 it is a great coil,I don't have any experience with the larger coil but I did buy a sniper coil to get closer to metal objects like fence posts and playground equipment and it is a great coil.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5x8 coil is great as I installed it and never went back to the stock coil

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got the super sniper as well and took it out for a “ shake down” hunt this morning in the rain and cold. It was great, found tons of coins close into old trees and benches. I don’t have any complaints about my standard coil once I got used to it. I did just buy the Detech SEF “15 monster for big iron when I go to Virginia, I haven’t had that one out for a hunt yet, but I plan to very soon before old man winter sets in for the next 10 months

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbilly Prince

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the super sniper as well and took it out for a “ shake down” hunt this morning in the rain and cold. It was great, found tons of coins close into old trees and benches. I don’t have any complaints about my standard coil once I got used to it. I did just buy the Detech SEF “15 monster for big iron when I go to Virginia, I haven’t had that one out for a hunt yet, but I plan to very soon before old man winter sets in for the next 10 months

Yeah that ten months of winter is what you get on a mountain in Colorado also.
There was a lot of Civil War action here so I am very interested in that aspect as far as suitable equipment.
Got a lot to learn.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You will like the 5" x 8" DD for separation; not much of a loss in depth. The small sniper coil is another great addition to your arsenal for tight and trashy areas.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the 5x8 DD is Awesome. It's gets in tight areas and does its job! Noticeably Lighter too!

Kace

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
little depth loss but good for trashy areas cll Garrett they have many coils for the AT tell them what your hunting what the mineralization or ground balance usually is in your area. they are very very helpful

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I just picked up an AT Max Z link package that came with the 13” Detech coil and a stock coil, can wait to get that out for a hunt. In the spring I’ll pick up the 5x8 as well, I have heard a lot of good things about it, not just here but from other guys I know around here. I’m not sure if I mentioned it or not but I f****** hate winter, just sayin’

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the NEL Storm coil its a big sob, i use it every where and have no problems in trashy areas, it separates great and easy to locate the object.... holding out on the 5x8 since the max comes with it and im thinking about buying the max so my daughter can use the pro and all coils will interchange....how ever i would not want to swing that storm coil in the water i use my stock coil for that...

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
5x8 is great in trashy areas and in heavy brush, stock coil is great for fields and non trashy areas imho

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If you are in a trashy area you have to slow down. By slowing down you'll get the chirps between the trash. I have the at pro and at gold. My 5x8 coil is currently not on either machine. I have the 9 x 12 concentric on the gold and the factory on the pro.
I bought a 15" aftermarket coil and am not impressed with it at all. No additional depth, imo.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Hillbilly, Any of the smaller coils are great in trashy areas, but it has to be real trashy to have any significant performance effects. Its just like larger coils for depth, sure there deeper, but not by what you might think and smaller coils are the same fashion. The coil mentioned is only giving up 3 total inches in area, this hardly effects the depth let alone the separation. Try the super sniper coil, the little 4.5 inch round if you really want to see some difference.
Also I haven't had any bad experiences yet with the NEL coils have around 7 of them now for different detectors.
Good luck!
Stay Gold!!
Opie

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I’ve owned my AT Pro for 7 yrs now and I ordered and put the 5/8 coil on just shortly after purchasing the detector. Hated the stock coil and haven’t taken the 5/8 off since. Love it. Just as deep as the stock. Swing all day long. Easy pin pointing in the water when trying to retrieve targets. The coil is awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread