Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Hmm. I bought an AT Gold used off craig's but I had been using the AT Pro for years and with just a short test knew the Gold was in great shape and working correctly. Also, it was looking like new, hardly used...no scuffs or normal dings, etc from normal use.

Can you get your hands on a friend's AT Pro, or better yet take that friend with to check it out?

Try it before you buy it would be my advice.
I guess I can add a little;
If it doesn't have cam locks it is one of the real early ones and they had some issues. How about getting the serial number to see when it was built? If it's less than two years old it's under warranty and Garrett's customer service is second to none.
If it's really used, check the battery compartment for moisture. If the display face is cracked or any moisture on the inside of the display.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Luck with the new machine. :occasion14: The ATPro is a very good mid-range machine, you can buy them used for around $350 - $425 dollars. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Bounty Hunter DISCOVERY 1100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to look at one this morning and the batteries dies shortly after turning it on. The display did come on momentarily and I saw the battery showing as low then it died. I didn't have batteries and neither did the guy. It did look like it was in excellent condition and it had the cam locks. I didn't buy it but am meeting him again tomorrow morning... with batteries. Hoping he still has it and that it works.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro is a great mid range machine. I have a friend who knows his so well he tears up the competition with it.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just met up with the guy again, he got home just as I arrived. Opened the new batteries, installed and......
it turned on and seems to work as it should.
I am now the proud owner of a used Garrett AT Pro!
Now I get to take it home, hand it over to my wife and have to wait until Christmas until I can use it.
Probably the first real test will be on the beach in Florida this coming March, how I hate Canadian winters. Might as well just put it next to the motorbike till the spring. I think I got a pretty good deal, $400 CDN.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT pro is not the way to go on a salt beach!

They work fine in the dry sand at the ocean, and although they have little depth in the wet salt sand a friend of mine got 30 (that's right, THIRTY) gold rings last winter after a big storm at an ocean beach. All were found in two weeks time in wet salt sand. Not real salt machines, and they will get out hunted by true salt capable machines but a lucky user can still find stuff at the beach.

OP
OP
zombie

zombie

Aug 30, 2016
Guelph, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I make it to Florida once a year for a week, the rest of my detecting will probably be in Southern Ontario (Canada). The beaches here are freshwater. I'm sure that it will work well enough on a Florida beach that I will have a good time anyway. Maybe someone with another AT Pro might even be up to meeting up and giving me some advice on how to use it.
Thanks for the input guys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread