AT PRO finds meteorite

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher Goldbug, Whites coinmaster pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have posted some pictures on the Meteorite Forum, but wanted to show other AT Pro users what I found along with the short version of the story. I was looking for gold nuggets in dry creek beds and coins dropped by Miners in the Mountains of Washington State. I was using my ATP with Cors Detonation when I came across a a good signal of 47-52. I dug the target and pulled out what appeared to be a hunk of iron. I put it in my pouch to clean up at home. After getting home and clean it up, I expected it to be a large nut, but it did not have a hole in it and was too heavy to be just an ordinary hunk of iron. I thought it could be a Meteorite so I researched on the internet and could not disprove that it was not a meteorite. I ground a window in it to reveal the metal inside, then polished it and revealed the widmanstatten pattern that only happens in Meteorite iron. The Widmanstatten pattern is caused by cooling over millions of years. This Meteorite is older than the Earth, so it is for sure my oldest target that i have found. Here are some pictures. Thanks for looking. meteorite 1.JPG meteorite 2.JPG meteorite 4.JPG Meteorite 3.JPG window 1.JPG

OP
OP
T

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!! That's an awesome find...it could be worth a lot of money as well!:thumbsup:

It is a perfect size to make a nice display. The oriented shape is rare also. I am looking forward to making a nice display case for it.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Twisttop, I can't see the pattern in your photo, but I don't doubt your conclusion. Do you know, there have only been six meteorites found in Washington State, ever? It would be worth your time, perhaps, to take your find to WAZZU, talk to an astronomer, who would be most interested, or a geologist who would be most skeptical. If authentic, RARE would describe your find.

OP
OP
T

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Q
Twisttop, I can't see the pattern in your photo, but I don't doubt your conclusion. Do you know, there have only been six meteorites found in Washington State, ever? It would be worth your time, perhaps, to take your find to WAZZU, talk to an astronomer, who would be most interested, or a geologist who would be most skeptical. If authentic, RARE would describe your find.

Thanks for the advise. The thin dark line that is the most obvious runs 11:30 to 5:30 direction. Others on far right run 11:00 to 5:00. Some in between run 2:00 to 8:00. Gotta kind of zoom in. The lines are thin and dark. I sent an email today to Cascadia Meteorite Labratory at Portland State University in Portland Or. waiting on a reply. You are the second one that has suggested WSU. I will see what they can do if Portland State wants to slice it up.. Central Washington University is my first choice to take it to, since I found it near there. I am a huge fan of Nick Zetner. “Nick on the Rocks” and Mega Flood. CWU has a good geology program. You think it is a mistake to take it somewhere that doesn’t specialize in Meteorites?

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen a few of Nick Zetner's presentations. He puts out a lot of good info, and seems really good. I would think any school is going in the right direction, but they get thousands of meteorite requests, and they are ALL not meteorites, so they get jaded, and dismissive. That's why I suggested physically showing it to them to get their attention. With only six found in the state, who is really experienced?

ohp733

Oct 22, 2014
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites DFX, TRX, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool,rare find. Well done twistop and AT pro!

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You think it is a mistake to take it somewhere that doesn’t specialize in Meteorites?

Any academic institution worth it's salt will do more than pawn you off on its nearest available lab assistant. Still, I would find out who the Department Chair would be. That professor might be called the head of the Department of Geology, the Department of Earth Sciences, the Center for BlahBlahBlah - you get my drift. Talk directly to that person, always bearing in mind that they may only be your first stop before you surrender anything.

I would be more than happy to PM if you need any more info on this. I am a retired person from Higher Ed and have a bit of perspective here. Regardless of what you ultimately learn about your object you will always have the thrill of the find to remember and a great story to tell! Congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any academic institution worth it's salt will do more than pawn you off on its nearest available lab assistant. Still, I would find out who the Department Chair would be. That professor might be called the head of the Department of Geology, the Department of Earth Sciences, the Center for BlahBlahBlah - you get my drift. Talk directly to that person, always bearing in mind that they may only be your first stop before you surrender anything.

I would be more than happy to PM if you need any more info on this. I am a retired person from Higher Ed and have a bit of perspective here. Regardless of what you ultimately learn about your object you will always have the thrill of the find to remember and a great story to tell! Congrats!

I was thinking the same thing, I believe you are correct. I have an email written, but have not sent it to Nick Zentner at CWU yet. I am thinking I will etch it and take better photos to send with the email. It was found about 20 miles from CWU, so I hoped they would have more of an interest in it. Thanks for the offer to help. I will keep you in mind if I have questions.

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No prob, my pleasure. And let me add that all of your hard work leading up to the find has rewarded you with . . . more hard work! Enjoy.

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really is something to be proud of. I’m curious about the grinding. On an item that small, did you use a dremel type tool, and did the spark pattern change; the deeper you got?

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind telling what direction you were and what you were looking for when you found it? I'm just curious about what's in the area to hunt. The Ellensburg formation and the blue agates have always peaked my interest.

dhog

Feb 26, 2018
SW Va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garett ace 400 AT PRO Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would love to find something like that

OP
OP
T

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mind telling what direction you were and what you were looking for when you found it? I'm just curious about what's in the area to hunt. The Ellensburg formation and the blue agates have always peaked my interest.

I was looking for coins or gold nuggets. I wasn't looking for Meteorites. Never thought i would find one. The exact location will be public if I get it classified. I have not had a chance to get back there to look for more.

OP
OP
T

twisttop

Jan 22, 2014
Eastern Wa. State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cut a sample and sent it to New England Meteoritical Services. Sorry to say I was wrong. They looked at it with a microscope, it is not a meteorite. I have never been so certain about anything before. I am crushed, but oh well. It is hard to believe normal iron would have lines similar to Widmanstatten lines. I sure learned a lot.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cut a sample and sent it to New England Meteoritical Services. Sorry to say I was wrong. They looked at it with a microscope, it is not a meteorite. I have never been so certain about anything before. I am crushed, but oh well. It is hard to believe normal iron would have lines similar to Widmanstatten lines. I sure learned a lot.

Thank you very much for the update. While I know you're disappointed, it's nice of you update this thread and bring it to a conclusion, even if it wasn't the conclusion you wanted.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear the conclusion but thank you for updating the thread!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Thanks for efforts made to have it identified!

g

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread