For those thinking about an Atpro and beach hunting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: For those thinking about an Atpro and beach hunting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
    823 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

For those thinking about an Atpro and beach hunting

I took my AT-Pro to the salt water beach today and yesterday and the day before. I was totally surprised that it was perfect for the beach. Zero pro, no dis and -2 sens and it preformed flawlessly. If I got an iffy hit I changed to std coin mode and listened. If it burped I passed and if it gave a good signal I dug. A few hits the coin didn't even pick up so I just had to make a decision on the Pro -zero mode. Didn't find anything worth printing but the unit was great.
    I've read a few posts where they said it wouldn't work on the beach but they didn't know how to work it.
    smokeythecat and devldog like this.
    Looking for a hunting buddy in or around Deltona Fl.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    5487 times
    On the beach it works fine but in the water is where it get's sketchy and doesn't work good.
    back of the boat

us
    Jul 2019
    Deltona Fl
    AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
    823 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-of-the-boat View Post
    On the beach it works fine but in the water is where it get's sketchy and doesn't work good.
    You may be right. I only went in about 2' to search. I don't think I'd trust it totally under water.
    Looking for a hunting buddy in or around Deltona Fl.

us
    Sep 2012
    Highlands, TX
    Garrett AT Pro Minelab Equinox 800 Fisher CZ-21
    286 times
    You are lucky you got that deep. Mine chirps like crazy unless the sens is extremely low. It works but not very deep. I guess it has to do with how much mineralization is in your water.
    Back-of-the-boat, NWMP and devldog like this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
    3031 times
    Metal Detecting
    I think the performance can vary significantly depending on the beach. I used mine once at a Cape Cod Beach, and it worked really well, even in wet sand. I used it in Plymouth a few times, just north in the same bay, and it was exceptionally noisy and did not work well at all. I admit I am not that experienced on the beaches, but I used some tips I had read, and just could not get it to run a little more quietly. I love it in the woods, fields, and other similar environments.
    Billieg likes this.

us
    Jul 2014
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    309 times
    I took my AT Pro on a cruise this past Spring and had great Success in the Bahamas and did it performed just fine at Cozumel for me too.
    There was a lot of coral in both locations and
    I had to adjust the settings, lower the sensitivity, etc. (I always hunt in Pro Zero mode though)

1st Hunt 2019 + 1st Salt Water Hunt +1st time Cruise in Caribbean=Gold & Silver
    Billieg likes this.

us
    Aug 2017
    Southern Oregon
    Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
    211 times
    Relic & Nugget hunting, but I do it all
    I can get mine to work on any beach I have visited but on some beaches I don't get very much depth. It depends a lot on the minerals at the beach.

Aug 2019
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
    You may be right. I only went in about 2' to search. I don't think I'd trust it totally under water.
    Don't trust it under water... I just wrecked mine Saturday. 2 drops amounts was enough. Seeped in through the 2 screws under the front plastic cover... Water wet the LCD screen and 2 drops below it. I noticed a couple of oxydized connections on the mainboard. I cleaned them and will attempt to resolder them. If it doesn't work, I'll send the case to Garrett. Guarantee is expired anyways.
    Billieg likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2018
    Rhode Island
    Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
    715 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricianFTT View Post
    Don't trust it under water... I just wrecked mine Saturday. 2 drops amounts was enough. Seeped in through the 2 screws under the front plastic cover... Water wet the LCD screen and 2 drops below it. I noticed a couple of oxydized connections on the mainboard. I cleaned them and will attempt to resolder them. If it doesn't work, I'll send the case to Garrett. Guarantee is expired anyways.
    Even if expired im willing to bet they take care of you if you send it in.

gb
    Saul

May 2019
    West Sussex, UK
    Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
    8 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    I am only searching beaches at the moment and was considering an AT Pro but from what I am hearing it is not actually that great on wet sand? Apparently you can get it to work but because you need to back off the sens so much, the depth suffers and really what is the point of searching the wet sand area if you can only get an inch or two down? Also this water leaking issue concerns me. It is supposed to be waterproof so how can any water be getting in?

I don't "need" an AT Pro but have seen a used one at a reasonable price and thought I might give it a go.

us
    Sep 2012
    Highlands, TX
    286 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yammy View Post
    I am only searching beaches at the moment and was considering an AT Pro but from what I am hearing it is not actually that great on wet sand? Apparently you can get it to work but because you need to back off the sens so much, the depth suffers and really what is the point of searching the wet sand area if you can only get an inch or two down? Also this water leaking issue concerns me. It is supposed to be waterproof so how can any water be getting in?

I don't "need" an AT Pro but have seen a used one at a reasonable price and thought I might give it a go.
    I have an ATPro that I have tried at the beach and was not impressed in the wet sand and in the water it was almost useless. I bought an Equinox 800 and it is a totally different experience. I don't plan on getting rid of the ATP as it is a great machine everywhere else and my wife can use it but the Nox is my go to machine these days.
    yammy likes this.

gb
    Saul

May 2019
    West Sussex, UK
    Equinox 600, Golden Mask One 15 kHz, Whites DFX300mm, Quest Q40, Nokta Impact, Makro Racer.
    8 times
    Thanks for the reply. This is what I keep hearing and which is very odd because Garrett describe it as:

Ideal for use in both fresh and saltwater AT Pro International will ground balance to saltwater
    Just wondering how they manage to continue describing it like that when very clearly it does not work well in salt wet sand?

us
    Sep 2012
    Highlands, TX
    286 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yammy View Post
    Thanks for the reply. This is what I keep hearing and which is very odd because Garrett describe it as:

Just wondering how they manage to continue describing it like that when very clearly it does not work well in salt wet sand?
    I guess technically it will work just not as well. Also it might depend on where you are located with different mineralization.

Is there some difference in the International model?

gb
    Saul

May 2019
    West Sussex, UK
    8 times
    I am not sure there is a lot of differences apart from the target guide on the screen which is more slanted toward European users.

ca
    Nov 2009
    Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
    Tesoro Tejon, AT Pro, Nokta Makro Simplex, still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
    415 times
    I have used my ATP international for years on prairie fresh water lakes. Two trips ago I got two gold rings from a lake. And I have never experienced a leak. On some lakes it works fantastically, on others with high mineralization the machine is virtually useless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links