It's Never Too Cold To Dig Silver And Gold!

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Edmonton is a unique northern city. It started out originally as a Fort in the late 1700's - early 1800's with a Hudson's Bay Trading Post. As most large cities, a large river runs through it, to support a main mode of transportation at that early time. The river, also contains flour gold from past glacier deposits. Gold can be found everywhere. Downstream and upstream for about 100 miles contains the heaviest concentrations. The river has been mined for about 100 years. Every year with the melt of snow from the mountains causes a minor flood, which re-distributes more gold. Now, back in the day, one could easily get an ounce. Today on a good day, one can usually get around a gram.

The river started to freeze last week, forming ice from the river's edge out to about 4-5 feet. I hauled my equipment down to the river last Thursday, and had to cut a section of ice away from the river's edge, so that I could get my highbanker set up in shallow water.

The following day, my buddy and I cancelled out prospecting outing, and replaced it with a hike in the river valley with our metal detectors, which we have done many times before. We dug up some interesting relics and my buddy score a silver dime!

Here are the rewards we reaped from out hunt and dig. The gold was from about 4 hours worth of digging in the river.

That's it for gold prospecting for the year. I will run all my black sands a second time during the winter to extract, hopefully the rest of the gold.

Dang it.....another 6 months until the river ice breaks up again. :BangHead:

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
You'll be ready by then for sure. Thanks for sharing your adventures John.

After 6 months of shoveling snow, I should be ready for shoveling more river gravel. :occasion14:

Boog

Apr 30, 2007
E. Central Indiana
Aarrgghhhhhh, John John, cold, cold, I just cannot do that, it around freezing here now and getting colder, but anymore ,gets down around 25 degrees I am done, really backing off right now, you always was a hardy soul tho.
great job on the river work buddy.
But I always got my Scorpion in the trunk and ready to beep,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread