Garrett AT Pro Coil Question

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I couldn't tell you since I have 5 different coils and the stock 8.5x11 is my preference.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 5x8 is my all around favorite on the ATP. The reason is because it's more balanced than the 8.5x11, and it's better for hunting the trashy parks that I frequent. If I was in open fields though I might go with the larger coil.

OP
OP
DetecTom

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600|Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 5x8 is my all around favorite on the ATP. The reason is because it's more balanced than the 8.5x11, and it's better for hunting the trashy parks that I frequent. If I was in open fields though I might go with the larger coil.

I was thinking about getting the 5x8 for those very reasons. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I owned three AT Pros and I had the 5 x 8” on all of them and never used the larger coil again. Great coil for the AT Pro.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When I used the ATP primary, i had the stock coil on for 2 years..did great...the moment I got the 5x8 coil...It would find things in the trashest areas and I never really felt like I lost any depth.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for the 5x8. I have both and rarely use the larger one. The 5x8 is lighter to swing and works great in trashy areas.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I love the 5 x 8 coil. I put it on six yrs ago and haven’t taken it off since.

OP
OP
DetecTom

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really want to get a 5x8 coil now, but my wallet doesn’t want me to get it. I’m waiting for a used one to show up, but no luck.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is everyone’s favorite coil to use on the AT Pro, other than the stock 8.5”x11” DD coil, and why?

Behind my desk,..........

Behind my desk.JPG

Two 5"X8" and one of those oval concentrics.

The 8.5"X11" works well in more open spaces, or throttled back in parks.

The 5"X8" separates really well, it's shape & size is ideal for searching in,
under,and around.

I also use the little hockey puck coil.
But it is so dam hot,.......
you have to throttle back on it when there is cherry picking to be done.

OP
OP
DetecTom

DetecTom

Nov 18, 2019
Long Island,NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sanman, that is SOME collection there. I’m guessing you really enjoy the AT series! That’s amazing.

With everyone’s advice, I’m gonna just pull the trigger and get the 5x8 coil, well, I’ll ask my fiancée to get it for me as an anniversary present :laughing7: It seems like it would be a fantastic fit for me, especially since I hunt a lot of trashy areas. Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sanman, that is SOME collection there. I’m guessing you really enjoy the AT series! That’s amazing.

With everyone’s advice, I’m gonna just pull the trigger and get the 5x8 coil, well, I’ll ask my fiancée to get it for me as an anniversary present :laughing7: It seems like it would be a fantastic fit for me, especially since I hunt a lot of trashy areas. Thanks guys! I really appreciate it.

These machines work great.

It took a little getting used to, but, they give me lots of information to go by before digging.

That AT Gold has a true all metal, it misses "nothing".
The AT Max has a back lit display, very handy.
The AT Pro is fast and accurate, really works well.

Garrett hit the mark with these AT machines.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

You’ll like the way it works and feels on the ATP. Best of luck with the new coil.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Behind my desk,..........

View attachment 1773658

under,and around.

you have to throttle back on it when there is cherry picking to be done.

VERY NICE! :notworthy:

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stock coil has been ok but gonna try out a nel storm this year!

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I just bought an AT Max and I really like it so far, but I am 73 years old and recovering from shoulder surgery. That being said, the stock 8.5 x 11 coil KILLS even my good arm after about 15 minutes--not good! So my question is...does anyone know the weights of the 8.5 x 11 and the 5 x 8 which I am strongly considering getting if there is a significant weight difference.
Also, a technical question. The Garrett products advertise as being made in the U.S.A. The box my detector came in reads "proudly made in U.S.A." yet the boxes for the detector, the headphones, and the pinpointer as well as a label on the detector all have Chinese Export (CE) labels on them. What's up with that? I hope I didn't get a Chinese knockoff did i?

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800

View attachment 1773658

under,and around.

you have to throttle back on it when there is cherry picking to be done.[/QUOTE]

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Nice Choice Maybe the Stimulus Check will come in soon/ goldnugget

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Love that 5x8 coil. Something about the shape that is just great. Fantastic separation, great depth, and easy to pinpoint. Also very easy to gauge depth of target by moving coil directly back and forth and listening for signal strength. Favor it over Nox small coil by a long shot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread