Problem with my new Garrett Pointer Pro

Woodrodius

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got my AT pro the other day, went out in the yard to give it a shot, along with the pointer pro (Garrett Carrot) that comes with it. The pointer worked great initially, but after a few digs it seemed to enter some strange mode where the beeps no longer increase in rapidity as you get closer to the object. It just slowly beeps in a pulsing fashion even if I put the pointer directly onto a steel object. I’ve tried removing and replacing the battery, cycling through all of the modes, nothing seems to help.

Anyone else had this issue, and if so, is there any fix? Thanks!

Here’s a link to a video of what’s happening:

Last edited:

Twogunbloodoath

Greenie
Mar 28, 2020
Trinity county CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705/ equinox
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I do too. I have to re start it. Sometimes mine still beeps after it leaves the target and won’t stop until I power it down. I’m not sure what the deal is.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought is battery, but you replaced it.
With a known good one?

Next, would be, it is detuned.
Example: placing pinpointer near target and pressing power button.
Now it only see target from that distance or less.
Get a piece of silver and/or copper.
Remove battery, install known good battery, push button 1 time briefly to power up.
Now air test with the silver and/copper, if they give no signal, it's time to call Garrett.
It's most likely broke.

OP
OP
W

Woodrodius

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is giving a signal, however the beeps don't get more rapid as it gets closer to the metal object anymore. When it detects metal it does a pulsing beep that never varies, which makes it pretty useless as a pinpointer.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like one of the Chinese knock-offs. Did it come with a lanyard?

OP
OP
W

Woodrodius

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like one of the Chinese knock-offs. Did it come with a lanyard?

I don't remember seeing a lanyard, but it came inside the box for my AT Pro, I didn't buy it separately. Assuming if it came inside the box it'd be a legit one?

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not necessarily, there are knock offs with the Garrett name on them.
It sounds broke to me.
Call your dealer or Garrett.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't remember seeing a lanyard, but it came inside the box for my AT Pro, I didn't buy it separately. Assuming if it came inside the box it'd be a legit one?

Hopefully just a bad legit carrot and they send you a new one without having to ship the whole package back.

OP
OP
W

Woodrodius

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update:

Let it sit overnight and powered it on with the original battery (2 beeps on startup, apparently the knockoffs do 3) and it started working normally. I'm confused. I tossed a new energizer in there for good measure, and put a quarter on the bottom to tighten the connection, hopefully it continues to behave itself. Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread