Garrett AT Pro headphones completely dead all of a sudden

Woodrodius

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my AT pro for about 2 months, everything has been working fine. Did some detecting in the yard, set unit down to dig a target, when I put the headset back on and powered up the unit, no audio was coming out of the headphones. Restart, reset, nothing. Twisted volume Knobs, nothing. Unplugged headphones, audio coming out of speaker fine. Replugged headphones, making sure to seat tightly, nothing.

Anyone experience anything like this before? I was thinking of purchasing a wireless set, but I’m worried the issue could be on the detector’s input plug.

Headphones are the Garrett brand MS-2's that come with the current AT Pro.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The original hp’s that come with the AT Pro are garbage. Mine lasted about the same time.

OP
OP
W

Woodrodius

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The original hp’s that come with the AT Pro are garbage. Mine lasted about the same time.

Ok, so you had a pair of MS-2's that broke and replacing them fixed the problem? Meaning it wasn't a problem with the connection on the metal detector house? Thanks for the reply.

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anyone else close by that could let you try theirs? I have a set that you could try if you are close to East Houston.

I do recommend going with the Garrett Z-Lynk system though. I bought the set with the pinpointer so you hear both the detector and pointer in the phones. It sure is nice not having to take them off when you want to set the detector down. Not having to juggle the cord is nice too.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Ok, so you had a pair of MS-2's that broke and replacing them fixed the problem? Meaning it wasn't a problem with the connection on the metal detector house? Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I didn’t no Ms 2’s are newer hp’s. I bought my AT pro almost ten yrs ago so they weren’t the ms 2’s that came with it then. I bought the blue water proof ones right after mine broke and I’ve had no problems for almost ten yrs using them. They maybe plain hp’s with no volume control and some guys say they are too loud for land use but I love them. If they ever die I may try a pair of Grey Ghost or just buy another blue pair.

OP
OP
W

Woodrodius

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there anyone else close by that could let you try theirs? I have a set that you could try if you are close to East Houston.

I do recommend going with the Garrett Z-Lynk system though. I bought the set with the pinpointer so you hear both the detector and pointer in the phones. It sure is nice not having to take them off when you want to set the detector down. Not having to juggle the cord is nice too.

Yeah I bought the Zlynk package last night, which I was wanting to do eventually anyways, I’m just worried about the possibility that the issue is with the detector side of the headphone connection. The speaker works fine and the speaker does shut off when the headphones are plugged in, so it recognizes the headphones as being plugged in. I’m hoping that’s a good sign it’s the headset?

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it is in the plug that should be a cheap repair. I would lean toward a problem in the cable though. It gets pulled around a lot in use. I was always careful of mine and it still got kinked.

Last edited:

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Same thing happened to me this year. I still bought another set of MS-2 as back up but I couldn’t be happier with the MS-3 Z-Lynk.

IMG_9167.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread