Which coil 5x8 or 4.5?

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife uses an ATP with the 8.5 x 11 dd coil. It is okay for some things but not so good in trashy areas. I have been thinking of getting her either the 4.5" or the 5x8". I would like to hear from someone that has both as to what works best in extreme trash. Everyone that we know with an ATP uses the 5x8" and likes it but no one has tried the 4.5". My guess is that the 4.5" works best for separating the good from the bad but I need an expert opinion. Thanks

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've seen posted the smaller coils lose some depth. I have the 5x8 and I rarely take it off for the 8.5x11. If you know someone with a 5x8 ask them to let you try it on your machine. It might do what you need it to do.

OP
OP
Nevada Prospector

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to call someone and get together with them and do Monte's nail-board test to compare. I thought some of the users would have an informed opinion. I guess the hockey puck isn't that popular. --Jim

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both coils and I use the hockey puck almost exclusively but I use it because I get up close to a lot of metal in playgrounds. But it isn't good for covering a lot of ground so that is when I switch over to the 5x8 and if your wife has the 8.5x11 and you want something for trashy areas I would suggest the 4.5 it can pick out the goodies amongst all the trash and I haven't had an issue with depth using it. The issue I have had is both 5x8 I had went bad so I switched to a 5x8 Nel coil and so far I have no complaints on it and I think it hits deeper than the Garrett 5x8 coils.

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the little round Sharp Shooter on my at pro. It picks it out of the iron pretty good. I don't notice much loss of depth. Noticeable is the amount of ground you can cover is less per swing, which forces you to slow down, which is one of the frequently given tips around here. I also find that pinpointing is easier with the small coil and it gets into tight spots. I have no experience with the 5x8...

EChapman

May 6, 2022
I have a question regarding NEL coils. I recently purchased the NEL Sniper 9.5 x 5.5 coil for my AT Pro. This coil specifically states that it's for the AT Pro. In the future I'm planning to obtain an AT Max, would there be any reason that the NEL coil designated for the PRO wouldn't be compatible with the MAX?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Different frequency is what I've been told. I think it'll work but the VDI might be off which is no real big deal as it's all about the sound.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question regarding NEL coils. I recently purchased the NEL Sniper 9.5 x 5.5 coil for my AT Pro. This coil specifically states that it's for the AT Pro. In the future I'm planning to obtain an AT Max, would there be any reason that the NEL coil designated for the PRO wouldn't be compatible with the MAX?
I think it would be interchangeable to the MAX also. Just reset your detector between coil changes so it will recognize the new coil. I have found the NEL reads a little different VDI's, but not by much the NEL is a little higher on the VDI numbers. The coil should be PRO/GOLD/MAX.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions