Used Seahunter II Yay or Nay?

Yaco787

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, how are you? I am a new hunter and i detect on the east Fl coast (sebastian).

I bought my GF a Tesoro Sand shark and we both love it for it's quality, warranty, depth and ability to go on future dives (hopefully).

One problem though is that it does not discriminate. I dig LOTS of junk and it wears me out on hot days and get frustrating.

Usually no big deal but kinda sucks when i just wanna hit beach before the rain sets in.

Anyway, i have the opportunity to buy a used Sea hunter II for 400.00 bucks: no accessories.

Seems to be in good used condition and i've heard they can take a beating so i'm not super worried about it being a lemon.

I was hoping for recommendations on if 400 is a good price for used one and if so, is there a way i should go about testing it to make sure everything works correctly? I do not know it's history so i don't know if it was abused (doesn't look like it was).

Also, i was wondering if there was a way to see when the manufacture date was on the machine so i can tell how long it's been out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hopefully i will see you guys out there sometime..

-Angel

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard Angel! Take a look at Forum: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$400 isn't too bad of a price for a used one. if you're looking to discriminate out junk, this is not the machine for you however. you can run this machine with the discrimination knob set higher but you will suffer the loss of gold and depth. A lot of people will go with a vlf detector for this reason, personally I dig everything. Too many gold rings ring up in the aluminum range and when you start discriminating out levels of aluminum you are losing gold. it may be more back-breaking digging every signal, but it is more profitable. as you get used to whichever machine it is you by you will become accustomed to the different sounds that different object make in the sand or surf. once you've practiced enough you can decide if you want to dig an iffy signal or not. Even still, I did everything. Far too many pieces of chain, open earrings and bracelet give off the bobby pin double beep. Personally, I would rather dig 100 bad targets to find 10 good ones than to discriminate out a bunch of stuff and only dig 5 good targets.

OP
OP
Y

Yaco787

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$400 isn't too bad of a price for a used one. if you're looking to discriminate out junk, this is not the machine for you however. you can run this machine with the discrimination knob set higher but you will suffer the loss of gold and depth. A lot of people will go with a vlf detector for this reason, personally I dig everything. Too many gold rings ring up in the aluminum range and when you start discriminating out levels of aluminum you are losing gold. it may be more back-breaking digging every signal, but it is more profitable. as you get used to whichever machine it is you by you will become accustomed to the different sounds that different object make in the sand or surf. once you've practiced enough you can decide if you want to dig an iffy signal or not. Even still, I did everything. Far too many pieces of chain, open earrings and bracelet give off the bobby pin double beep. Personally, I would rather dig 100 bad targets to find 10 good ones than to discriminate out a bunch of stuff and only dig 5 good targets.

Thank you so much for your response. I understand what you mean. Would you say the depth of the Sea hunter is excellent ? I get about 15 inches on tin and aluminum with my sand shark but definitely does not like gold.

sws33

Mar 15, 2013
huntington beach ca
Detector(s) used
white's 5900 di pro, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1280, Garrett Infinium LS, Teknetics T2 SE and Teknetics Omega 8000, Makro Multi Kruzer, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II and Fisher CZ21, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many posts in the Sea Hunter section here where you can see what I have found and how deep some of it was. Having said that, yes the machine goes as deep as I want to dig. Not that I'm hugely interested in digging aluminum cans at two feet but the machine can definitely hear them loud and clear.

OP
OP
Y

Yaco787

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have many posts in the Sea Hunter section here where you can see what I have found and how deep some of it was. Having said that, yes the machine goes as deep as I want to dig. Not that I'm hugely interested in digging aluminum cans at two feet but the machine can definitely hear them loud and clear.

Went and checked it out today and tested it. It is literally as close to brand new as you can get being "used". The foam on the pole and earphones in mint and no sand on it anywhere. Even the inspection stickers are still on it. Best part, the place didn't know what they had, got it for $300.00

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread