Maybe a little trick.

h2oBeeps

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2018
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett GTA 350, Bounty Hunter Legacy, Quest xpointer, Quest scubatector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just looking through the Garrett catalog and found something interesting and hopefully useful for all my Sea Hunter brothers and sisters. It says and I quote " To help determine if a target is ferrous (iron), some users employ a reverse discrimination technique to check the item. With either Garrett pulse detector (meaning the ATX and Sea Hunter) simply increase Discrimination to maxium. If the target still produces a substantial signal, there is a good chance it is iron". Hope this helps speed up the learning curve.

Last edited:

sandmartin

Feb 20, 2015
Scarborough, England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just looking through the Garrett catalog and found something interesting and hopefully useful for all my Sea Hunter brothers and sisters. It says and I quote " To help determine if a target is ferrous (iron), some users employ a reverse discrimination technique to check the item. With either Garrett pulse detector (meaning the ATX and Sea Hunter) simply increase Discrimination to maxium. If the target still produces a substantial signal, there is a good chance it is iron". Hope this helps speed up the learning curve.

I will try that, thanks.

Nov 12, 2019
Ft. Laud., FL
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: MINELAB EQUINOX 800 WITH ALL COILS. GARRETT SEA HUNTER II.

PREVIOUS: WHITES V3i; MINELAB EXPLORER II, MINELAB SD2100; JW FISHERS 8X; MINELAB EXCALIBUR 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a Sea Hunter II and I will be trying it this weekend. Very cool idea and in principle it should work.

Nov 12, 2019
Ft. Laud., FL
Detector(s) used

PREVIOUS: WHITES V3i; MINELAB EXPLORER II, MINELAB SD2100; JW FISHERS 8X; MINELAB EXCALIBUR 1000
Primary Interest:
Sea Hunter II - detecting iron

I tried the discrimination technique this weekend and it works sometimes – more on shallower targets than on deeper targets. For example, a shallow bottle cap will give a broken tone that tells you something isn't quite right still can't be sure unless you want to rely on that or dig to be sure. You still need to always dig deeper targets to know for sure. Let's face it, this machine is better off in the water, and I always knew that when I bought it.

BeachBunnyTRHunter

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I tried the discrimination technique this weekend and it works sometimes – more on shallower targets than on deeper targets. For example, a shallow bottle cap will give a broken tone that tells you something isn't quite right still can't be sure unless you want to rely on that or dig to be sure. You still need to always dig deeper targets to know for sure. Let's face it, this machine is better off in the water, and I always knew that when I bought it.

BeachBunnyTRHunter

Good to know thanks! How have you been doing with your Sea Hunter so far this yr? Wish i lived in Florida where I could hunt yr round.

Nov 12, 2019
Ft. Laud., FL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
What to use a Garett Sea Hunter II for on the South Florida coast

Apologies for the severe delay. :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: I have relegated the Sea Hunter to in-the-water detecting only because the beaches are human-pigged-up with this and that-type trash making the SH II pulse unit induce insanity while using on the beach.

Instead, I switched to a Minelab Equinox 800 and have just gotten started with that. I plan to post to my new YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdt5OUUj64qPeJopksqv2zQ?view_as=subscriber

So far good results, and recommend Andy Sabisch's book on the Equinox - everything he writes is worth reading.

kac

Aug 4, 2021
North East
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Seahunter MKII, Apex, Makro Multi Kruzer, Tesoro Tejon. Started with a BH Tracker 505 back in early 90's.
Nokta Pulse Pointer and Minelab Profind 35.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry new here and stumbled on this topic. Will give that a shot on my SH. I did notice long wire iron like chunks of lobster traps will give a double beep in one direction but unfortunately not all lay flat. Hard to beat the SH with the 10x14 for depth but exhausting after any big storms with all the crap that is exposed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread