Can someone help simplfy PI Vs VLF for wet sand, surf, shallow diving in salt water?

goldmine1

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Folks,

I'm interested in a totally submersible detector for the wet sand, suft and shallow diving in saltwater only. After a lot of googling and reading so many opinions, I'm not totally sure what the difference between a PI and VLF machine is in these conditions.

My mind is set on a Garrett Sea Hunter II, which is PI and I know I will be digging a lot of targets, thats fine. But the other detector I have seen, is the Fisher 1280-X Aquanaught, VLF. Can anyone help with simplifying the pros and cons for choosing between either of these machines down at the surf?

Thanks

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not familiar with those particular machines or their abilities but PI is always deeper sometimes reported as more stable and will find you everything. A vlf can discriminate out iron so you don't dig 2 ft holes for crab traps and auto parts but they generally aren't as deep seeking as PI units. The industry standard for the past 20 yrs has been the minelab excalibur but they need care or they rot away. Actually all detectors should be cared for lol. Read reviews, watch youtube vids of those machines and check the forums/ facebook marketplace/ ebay for deals and your answer will come. My first detector took 2 yrs to pay for its self mostly with clad. My excalibur paid for its self the first day I used it with 3 gold and 7 silver rings. I wish I knew how to use it that day I could have mugged that beach for more.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never used, or even seen a Sea Hunter.

Been using my Excal II for 5 years now and love it. I did have my Excal modified by Kellyco by Dave prior to his passing. I was so excited getting it back, I drove down to Kellyco's shop to pick it up - and I hit both coasts (East & West).... Found a lot of coinage but no jewelry.

I'm thinking I'd get pretty frustrated using a Sea Hunter - at least with the Excal I can use a little discrimination (but not a lot - don't want to scoop trash all day long).

Bill G

Jan 8, 2006
I've never used, or even seen a Sea Hunter.

Been using my Excal II for 5 years now and love it. I did have my Excal modified by Kellyco by Dave prior to his passing. I was so excited getting it back, I drove down to Kellyco's shop to pick it up - and I hit both coasts (East & West).... Found a lot of coinage but no jewelry.

I'm thinking I'd get pretty frustrated using a Sea Hunter - at least with the Excal I can use a little discrimination (but not a lot - don't want to scoop trash all day long).

If you don’t dig it all your going to miss the jewelry/gold that’s just the way it is..... Might be the reason why you have not found any jewelry. I dig everything with my Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2 and my Whites TDI beach Hunter both PI machines designed for salt water.

I run some discrimination in land hunting with my land detectors in iron and trash infested sights but never on the beach.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

I love PI detectors myself in salt water Beach conditions, yes there a little more work lots of digging.. Lol.. Pic’s of two of my favorites.

Attachments

• 91EF6683-24D0-423A-AD0C-823A3405472A.jpeg
    91EF6683-24D0-423A-AD0C-823A3405472A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 96
  • F3F2228B-6CA9-4311-8E78-7B8E359F4C9D.jpeg
    F3F2228B-6CA9-4311-8E78-7B8E359F4C9D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 101

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
The Fisher 1280X is not what you want for wet sand. Does not do well in salt water. Better off with the CZ-21 if you’re interested in Fisher brands. If you’re on a budget I’d get the Equinox for the shoreline/wet sand/shallow water and use the Sea Hunter for diving. Or just get an Excal for diving and shallow water.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you don’t dig it all your going to miss the jewelry/gold that’s just the way it is..... Might be the reason why you have not found any jewelry. I dig everything with my Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2 and my Whites TDI beach Hunter both PI machines designed for salt water.

I run some discrimination in land hunting with my land detectors in iron and trash infested sights but never on the beach.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

I love PI detectors myself in salt water Beach conditions, yes there a little more work lots of digging.. Lol.. Pic’s of two of my favorites.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bill G, where did you purchase the large coil & the long beach rod for your Garrett Sea Hunter? How big is the big coil? That is a nice set up. Are those home made coil covers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions