Had to Send Her Back

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was having problems with my Ace. The machine was constantly jumping all over the place and ringing like the phone. Garrett said I may have a bad coil and to send it back for a free replacement. I tried everything in the book and also everything I had read on this site, and nothing seemed to work. Hope I get it back quick.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy Rodeo Recon had his Ace 250 for a few months, and the same thing happened to him. He had to send it back because of a bad coil. It's not that cool that you have to pay the shipping one-way to get it taken care of. :-\

OP
OP
Cokeman Sam

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't mind the $7.40 it cost me for postage. Better than buying a new coil. I'm in the customer service biz so I know the value of treating the customer right. I just hope they hurry up. I've got the itch...BAD!

blklab

Jul 30, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
White's DFX/Garrett Ace 250/Troy X2/DetectorPro Pistol Probe
I have an Ace 250 also, about two months old. I wonder if I have a similiar
issue? It seems to find coins OK, no jewelry yet, but does seem to jump
around alot. I'm probably spoiled, as I have a DFX also and there is no
comparision. I can make the Ace work, but as I said, it is awfully jumpy
and inconsistant. What's everyones opinion. Do you think I have the same
problem and should call Garrett and talk to them? Thanks for any advise
any of you may have.

OP
OP
Cokeman Sam

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Give them a call. They were more than nice. I thought it may have been the area that I was hunting but it seems to happen no matter where I go, which mode I hunt in, how much sensitivity I use, or even if I aim it straight up at the sky? I hope this will fix it. I haven't really found much either. Most times I dig hole, find nothing, fill hole, and start over. Hard to find a target with it jumping all over the scale.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
:stop: :stop:....I have had a Ace 250 for 2 years now and no problem with it. But i had the same thing happen with my GTI 1500 that you had with your Ace........I sent it back and they put a new chip in it or something no charge free.....so i call that good service for i had the detector for around 7 years so warranty was gone a long time ago... :headbang: :hello2:........... When you was getting all this advice what was wrong i knew it had to go back so i said nothing just to see what every one was going to say some pretty wild ideas came across this screen.. :BangHead:.. Some might have been good but if you have any common sense you tried those things allready...........................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
Cokeman Sam

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That may be the next step, but for now, all they wanted back was the coil. Only time will tell. Guess I'll get some of that honeydo list done while I'm waiting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cokeman Sam said:
That may be the next step, but for now, all they wanted back was the coil. Only time will tell. Guess I'll get some of that honeydo list done while I'm waiting.
I never had a problem with Garretts detectors and used them for years then they come out with that PROformance coil and i had problems................. ??????..I wonder ??? ???.........==Jim_K==

melvin_it

Nov 22, 2006
South Italy
Detector(s) used
DeLeon; Vaquero; CX II with Treasure Hound; Tracker IV; BH3300; some chinese funny junk as MD1069:)
Cokeman Sam said:
I was having problems with my Ace. The machine was constantly jumping all over the place and ringing like the phone. Garrett said I may have a bad coil and to send it back for a free replacement. I tried everything in the book and also everything I had read on this site, and nothing seemed to work. Hope I get it back quick.

D'ya checked if your soil is too mineralized or very trashy?? I hunt in all -metal, but sometime the ground is so trashy that I've to switch in coin mode or the ACE seems to go out crazy. Also rechargeable batts may give this kind of problem. I have had it too and solved thanks these TNet's guys :thumbsup:

M.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
That's too bad ......but at least it will be repaired by a reputable company that backs up its products. I too have had to send one in for some work. They don't break down sitting in a closet. :icon_sunny:

OP
OP
Cokeman Sam

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't know about anyone else, but I assign certain rings for certain important people on my cellphone. Then I know who is calling immediately unless... it is some oddball, then my phone rings like phones from back when I was a kid. They would just ring like a bell. Well, today I got the old bell ringing sound, looked at the number, didn't know who it was, and then answered it. It was someone from Garrett. They had finally received my coil but now they want the brains of the machine. Now that the whole machine is on its way to Texas, I feel like I lost one of my kids. Sucks too because its gonna be nice here in Pa this weekend. Sunny days in the 50's and nights in the 30's. Guess I'll help the Mrs stay warm instead of warming up my machine.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cokeman Sam said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I assign certain rings for certain important people on my cellphone. Then I know who is calling immediately unless... it is some oddball, then my phone rings like phones from back when I was a kid. They would just ring like a bell. Well, today I got the old bell ringing sound, looked at the number, didn't know who it was, and then answered it. It was someone from Garrett. They had finally received my coil but now they want the brains of the machine. Now that the whole machine is on its way to Texas, I feel like I lost one of my kids. Sucks too because its gonna be nice here in Pa this weekend. Sunny days in the 50's and nights in the 30's. Guess I'll help the Mrs stay warm instead of warming up my machine.
Yes that what i said they had to replace a chip or something in mine that is why i said all the responces you got were just something you all ready tried or just common sence :headbang:....I knew you had to send it in........I had that happen on my GTI 1500 so i knew what you were talking about..........But you will get it back in no time and it will work just fine ..........................................==Jim_K==

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cokeman Sam said:
GO ahead and warm up the missus, but while you're at it, let it be known that it's time for a back up detector.

OP
OP
Cokeman Sam

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
It took a lot of warming of the missus to get the first one. I did see at least 2 or 3 this summer at yard sales. Probably should have picked one up but you never know what you're gonna get.

jersey devl

Mar 2, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro: Cortes,Tiger Shark,& Vaquero
My ACE just started doing the same thing, but only if the sens is higher than 4th notch...if it gets worse I may have to call too.

OP
OP
Cokeman Sam

Cokeman Sam

Feb 22, 2008
Hastings, Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Finally the UPS guy delivered my machine today. Evidently, Garrett had to tweak it a bit. Something in the brain part. I didn't get a chance to try it out because before the UPS guy showed up...Old Man Winter paid a visit and delivered 3 inches of snow! Sposed to warm up so I should be back in action this weekend. Hopefully my pinpointer will arrive by then.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still learning my new 2500. The few times I hear the phone ringing sound I dig up a large hunk of rusty something or another. Will it ring for anything else?

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I know what Garret said and they are probably right,however,I would have sent the control box also just in case.One mailing and wait is better than two.You don't have to send the rods,etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions