Need help with my new Ace 250 (false signals)

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm very new to this hobby and I'm using an Ace 250. After several hours of use, I'm annoyed. Running the unit in coin-mode and the factory sensitivity setting (6 bars and 2 blank). I tried backing it down to 5 bars (3 blank) and it still seems to do the same thing. Let me explain what it does: While swinging, I'll get a beep. I'll swing over the spot again, nothing. Swing again, nothing. Swing again, and it BEEPS! So, it's very iffy and very hard to get a solid signal on each pass. I've tried swinging from different angles, moving around the targets, etc. Many times, the signal will totally disappear on me! Is there something wrong with my Ace250? It's very annoying to "get excited" when I get a beep...then stand there, swinging back and forth 20 times, trying to get a steady signal. Thanks in advance for your help.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I don't have the Ace. But lowering the sensitivity would be my first choice of doing.

See how low you have to go to get it stable with the sensitivity.
As the ground balance is pre-set it can only ignore a certain amount of minerals and that is a problem for certain areas.. My second guess.

But don't take my word for it.. Wait until other ace users pass by.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Each machine is different but try this; turn the sensitivity down to 4 bars or 3.

Also, I noticed with at least the one that we have, I believe that because it has a super insensitive coil (almost all brands do) that when there is a branch or even a stiff piece of grass (even soft grass, pebbles, plastic toys, etc) sticking up it will cause the machine to beep when it hits the bottom of the coil. At least this has been my experience with all of my detectors both on land and in the water.

I hold my coil about an inch off of the ground but things that stick up higher will cause it to beep if they hit the coil, not always but most of time. Even if the bottom is sandy and I have the coil touching the ground while swinging it will still give these false signals because the coil bumps into objects.

If this isn't the reason that causes your machine to false have your dealer check it or a local dealer or club. I'm sure they would be happy to help. If it turns out that it is a problem with the coil remember your new machine is backed by Garrett.

Good luck. I hope this helps you. Please let us know.

pro778

Jan 21, 2008
Forked River, Moorestown, NJ
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 E-TRAC
You will get a lot of false signals with the Ace. It picks up signals out on the edge of the coil that will give you false signals. You'll get that with any detector. What I do is if I think I have a good signal, I'll go to pinpoint and find where the target is or targets. When you know where the signal is go back to detect mode and just sort of wiggle the coil over top of the spot. You should get a good reading then.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Let me explain what is happening...

When you are in coin mode, you are eliminating half the targets. Now if you scan something that is iron but also rings as a coin. It will sometimes beep coins, and the iron signal will flash but won't beep. If you scan it and stare at your screen, you will see it jump around on targets and not beep at all. That means it isn't a coin, its junk and is something that you have eliminated.

If you don't understand what I mean, let me know and I will post pictures of it.

OP
OP
snyper77

snyper77

Nov 27, 2008
Greenwood, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
So, is there really anything I can do? It's really annoying to get a strong "ding"...then I stop walking....and concentrate on where I heard that "ding".....only to find out that it disappeared on me and I don't get another signal. :(

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
All excellent replies!

If you going along and your machine is running quiet then you get a non repeating beep try this. Try the best you can to get your coil directly over the possible target. Crank your sens up a notch at a time all the while making short 2 inch sweeps (wiggle). If your still getting an erratic beep or no beep then move on. However if the signal becomes more repeatable you might investigate. It might be a target that was just out of reach for a consistent beep on your lower sens setting. Bumping the sens up on just that one target may reward you with a good find? Don't forget to reduce the sens as you start searching again.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Run your sensitivity at four bars. If you can't get a repeatable signal move on or try the "twitch" over the target to generate a good signal if it is actually a good target. One-way signals are usually junk.

Bill

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! thank you everybody. I thought I was ready to start checking for metal in my head because I'm having the same problem. I'm looking into getting a pinpointer to help me.

Paul4x4

Dec 31, 2007
Finland
Detector(s) used
E-Trac/Pro-Pointer/Ace 250
Are you sure your coil wire is wrapped on the shaft tight enough? It might cause ghost signals if hanging too loose.

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Paul4x4 said:
Are you sure your coil wire is wrapped on the shaft tight enough? It might cause ghost signals if hanging too loose.

Say what? Never heard that one!
Most detectors you can't wrap the coil wire but so tight or it will not plug into the unit.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
This is how I run my coil cables.

I run mine strait up the shaft to the head on all makes and models. It's faster. Keeps the coil wires looking good. Plus there is no wiggle in the cables to set off a beep. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• DSCF4237.JPG
    DSCF4237.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 986
  • DSCF4236.JPG
    DSCF4236.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 909
  • DSCF4235.JPG
    DSCF4235.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 930

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
snyper77 said:
I'm very new to this hobby and I'm using an Ace 250. After several hours of use, I'm annoyed. Running the unit in coin-mode and the factory sensitivity setting (6 bars and 2 blank). I tried backing it down to 5 bars (3 blank) and it still seems to do the same thing. Let me explain what it does: While swinging, I'll get a beep. I'll swing over the spot again, nothing. Swing again, nothing. Swing again, and it BEEPS! So, it's very iffy and very hard to get a solid signal on each pass. I've tried swinging from different angles, moving around the targets, etc. Many times, the signal will totally disappear on me! Is there something wrong with my Ace250? It's very annoying to "get excited" when I get a beep...then stand there, swinging back and forth 20 times, trying to get a steady signal. Thanks in advance for your help.

I read all of the replies, and am not sure that I ever heard the right answer. Lots of different Items will read as good signals sometimes, but very few will read as good items consistently, except good targets. If you get a good ding, and go back over the area, and don't get a good ding, it's not a problem with the machine, you just need to keep looking. When you get a good target, it will read as a good target every time you scan it, 90% of the time.
I'll just take baby steps in a straight line, and if I hear a ding, I'll just keep scanning. I'm going so slow that I am going to scan the same area twice. If it gives a good solid signal both times, then I'll check it out. See what the target is, pinpoint it, and dig it.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I used to have an Ace 250-actually, I've had 3 of them.

If you scrub the detector coil on the ground, sensitivity above 4 will give false signals.

Some trash items will give an intermittent coin signal.

Very deep coins may give an intermittent signal.

If you sweep the detector holding coil above the ground, sensitivity 5 or 6 should be fine. Hope this helps. HH, George (MN)

Atlantian

Jan 28, 2009
Sandy Springs, G.A.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, My eyes
Wow I just bought my Ace 250 and since it was my first time using it yesturday I did some testing with items and noticed aluminum can could be next to my coil and cause a coin signal that changed from a five cent to a 10 and then 25 cent then to iron or pull tab... It was frustrating and i thought my machine wasn't working properly cause it would tell me I found something only to dig it up and it be a coke can... I dug up 4 coke cans and a chunk of iron then I found a modern nickel, dime, and penny it was completely different when I found these items the machine would consistently beap over the item ding ding ding so I stop digging the funny signals and stuck with the solid signals. Please any more advice on these machines post... oh yea other metal will give you mixed signals like bleachers I tried going around the base of them and I dug a hole thinking I found silver but none was there so I will stay away from the bleachers. I also noticed when I scrubbed or bumped the coil it rang out so anyways everyone please post anymore info about these machines to help me out

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If you don't have the Sniper coil turn your sens down to 1 or 2 next to the supports. Sweep slow. An aluminum can will pinpoint larger than a coin. Also raise your coil above the ground 12 inches and sweep over a suspected can. If it beeps at that height then it's a can. Don't run your sens higher than 5 when away from steel supports until your used to the machine. Even then the lower setting still may be all you need?

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Excellent tips, everyone. I've been using my Ace nearly everyday for a month. Most of the time it rings true on coins, but I did seem to get signals that would disappear. I also seem to find that the object is usually about 2 inches to the right of the center in the coil. Does this seem right to anyone else? I don't seem to find quarters very much, but I am digging in newer parks.
Today I went to an older park, after a good rain. My machine seem to beep a lot. I got to the point I ignored a lot of signals. Also, it seems that most coins are less than 6 inches down. Anyone finding anything deeper with the Ace???
Thanks,
DB

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Guys

I use an ace and I only dig the targets that give consistent ding ding ding when swung over more than 1 direction. Everytime it had been a coin or a jar lid. Also, if you get nickel/foil beeps its probably a pulltab. Only one time did I ever get a nickel with those signals.

Also, if you are a big coin hunter I hear the sniper is the way to go. You lose some depth, but still get the coins seperated from trash.

Larry

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
In wet grass like a lot of other machines you'll get some falsing. Reduce the sens and swing away.

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Mr. Peabody said:
All posters with Ace machines should read all the already existing posts about this machine. They contain just about every question and answer you could ever ask or want answered. :wink:

Except who has one they will give me for free !! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread