Hip Mounting The GTI 2500

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro

Attachments

• hip.jpg
    hip.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 248

jonnyrebel00

Nov 9, 2006
Mobile, Al
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Master Hunter
Ha, thats an awesome idea. ive never thought my machine was too heavy so im good. good idea though might be a pain in the butt to pp though with your HUD on your hip.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my GTI 2500 mainly because it was so heavy it wore me out. Never could figure how to seperate the head from the wand part. (Was afraid I'd screw it up!) excellent idea. Monty

ilyes1113

Sep 3, 2008
constantina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
cscope x3.fisher f5.garrett2500+eagle aye.ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its the last think that i will do it after finding 500 kgms of gold.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exellent idea, though as Monty I'd never to as there is a chance to screw up.

Personally, I would prefer a heavy detector, as extra weight = extra strength.
Hey I didn't know MD's could be used as sledge hammers! ;D
Ok now enough of the sarcastic part, that is simply put BS. Like saying more glass on the lamp bulb would give stronger light..
Not always true but sometimes.

Some of the real light weight detectors available today crack, split, wear out much too quickly for what you are paying these days......

Yes, a minority, as we have capitalism so bad quality detectors wouldn't be bought so much, there fore the company would get screwed.

So only a minority, it's simply not economically worthwhile to put out machines with poor choice of materials. Most light weight MD's simply use light weight materials like Aluminium which is tough.

OP
OP
John-Edmonton

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Eu_citzen said:
Exellent idea, though as Monty I'd never to as there is a chance to screw up.

Personally, I would prefer a heavy detector, as extra weight = extra strength.
Hey I didn't know MD's could be used as sledge hammers! ;D

Not a slegehammer, but a weapon against grizzly bears....... :tongue3:

I based my premise on the model of older cars vs. new cars today. A car I drove 30 years ago could easily handle a smack into a tree at 5 miles/hr, because of a greater thickness of metal and more structure in the frame, and again a greater thickness of metal. Fast-forward it to today.....cars are built so cheap. Hit one at 5 miles per hour in the right place, and it will be a write off. Yet, the market still thrives on cheaper built cars. Now of course the same can apply to metal detectors. Some are still built tough....however, there are some newer ones on the market which have split, handles cracked, housing cracked etc. and I am not talking about $100.00 detectors either. If you follow a lot of forums regularly, those particular faults show up often, on the same make of machines. They would not stand up to the abuse my Garretts have, hunting in ravines, areas ravaged with saplings, woods etc. The thickness of plastic and type of plastic is very thick and high grade. It can handle the abuse. It is also heavier, just like the older cars. Some of the newer non-Garrett models also available today are constructed of thin housing, thin plastics forming hand grips and foam which just falls apart quickly. Cosmetically, they look great and are very light to hold. Now there are also lots of non-Garrett detectors out there which are also built tough. But being that this a Garrett Forum, I am not going to start mentioning models, makes etc. which could easily turn into a war. I am strictly discussing Garrett and I have been using them for about 15 years.

I am like you and Monty...I have no interest in hip-mounting my GTI 2500. I am happy with the one I have, and using good body mechanics, allows me to hunt all day. I like to keep my machines for a long time, so how well they are constructed carries a lot of weight ( no pun intended) when deciding what to purchase.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dang a shame, we don't have grizzly bears here. :-[ ;D

Yes I see where you are coming from, but older cars weren't made so much from i.e. plastics and composites.
Also older cars gave more damage to humans to. :tongue3:

You should read up on "impact zones" on cars, they make them "weaker" at specific points to minimize damage to humans.
These areas are to absorb the majority of power from the impact, more damage to car but less damage to the people inside.

I used Garrett for 2 years. Yes there are always some that get bad machines, but that happens to every company.
Some more then others.

I regularly visit 12+ forums.

I must agree Garrett's are tough built though, they are like the old cars and use much plastic and carbon fibre to I think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread