acer 250 glitz......problem unit....I got a LEMON....

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Acer 250 glitz ........seams the detector will work fine for a short while and then nothing will register.....the unit goes dead, but the face still stays lit...I can flip through all functions....its like all keys are disabled with the exception for the power on /off button..I turn it off then turn it on I get 2 beeps.....the face lights up...but the depth indicator has no bars indicating.....I can turn on and off, change batteries turn on.....still the same nothing....when I unplug the cable from the head while the unit is on....it tends to reset it self and will work fine.....for a while.....then silent......nothing at all......turn off....then turn on beep beep .....total silents....unplug the head cable and plug it in and it will work for a while .......it seams like a redundant cycle......I have checked all connections....nothing is loose......good batteries......I emailed a note to GARRETT last week explaining the problem and never got a response back.....I was wondering if this has happened to any body else who owns a Garrett ACER 250.....any suggestions?? I have had the unit for 9 months and am very disappointed in the lack of service response and functionality of the unit.

db

hollywood13185

Jan 18, 2009
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett GTP 1350, Ace 250, Detector Pro Pistol Probe
Ive not heard of this happening either. Ive had mine for two years now and it still runs like a dream. Definately call tho. Garrett is actually really good about taking care of their customers. Josh

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Mine does that when the batteries are low. I lose my audio. If replacing new fresh fully charged batteries doesn't work, call Garrett & ask for Melinda Harper or Sue Wilson 1-800-527-4011. They are both very knowledgeable and should be able to help you.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
might be the coils gone bad -- if kept in the car heat or cold can cause problems

riverite

Sep 15, 2008
campbell river bc
Detector(s) used
ace250 with sniper coil
Yep had the same problem seemed it was a bad connector was causing it phoned garret , they were great mailed me a new coil , no charge , problem solved. they did not want me to even send back the old coil they could not have been more helpfull
would not hesitate in recomending them , great service department, since got the 4 inch sniper coil , machines even better makes pinpointing so easy

riverite

Sep 15, 2008
campbell river bc
Detector(s) used
ace250 with sniper coil
Dan----- when it happened to me i was 1800 miles from home they said it was maybe the heat [arizona desert] was causing it ,sent the new coil by UPS to the trailor park i was staying at, Now thats service

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Thanks for all the responces, Garrett finally got back to me to day after thesecond e-mail and said....."Good morning Dan,

I’m sorry for no one getting back to you on your email last week. I would recommend that you send in your ACE 250 so we can fixed it. There won’t be any charge for repair, I have never heard of the problem you are having. Here is a form that you can fill out and put inside the box with your detector when you are sending the unit back to us. http://garrett.com/hobby/hbby_factory_service_request_form.htm Please let me know if there is any questions or concerns and again I’m sorry if no one got back to you last week in regards to your email.

Thank you,

Brad Keel

Customer Service - Tech Support

800-527-4011

972-494-1881 fax"

well it was sent out today......so lets wait and see what they do..... once again thanks for all your suggestions....I'll keep you all posted...

oh yea......The acer is like new and was hardly used.....and it has never seen the AZ summers HEAT.....YET...got it last Sept and took it out a few times over the coarse of this last winter......oh well time to swing the back up....

HH to all

db

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
UPDATE......got the acer 250 back from the factory today........opened the box.......powered up the unit......beep beep....then.....silence as I swung the detector past the stainless steel trash can......pulled a quarter out of my pocket and waived it under the coil......still silent.....checked the repair order.....they replaced only the speakers ......the speakers worked fine....I TOLD Garrett that the coil was bad......they never field tested the unit.....all the repair tec did was replace a good speaker and power the unit up and down......that's all the unit would do (that's why I sent it in for repair) .........PROBLEM STILL NOT FIXED......I got on the PHONE and called back.......complained.....and was told they will be sending a new coil out....and if that doesn't fix it then......well, I will send it back to the factory demanding a full refund......this is ridiculous.....after several emails and phone calls to the company explaining the problem and they had the unit for over 3 weeks at the factory and they just can't seem to get their SH** together........still very displeased with a lemon unit....will keep all of you posted....

db

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its the coil , I bet -- I had a bad one too-- your problem sounds very similar

OP
OP
DanB

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
NEW update.........FINALLY... after a few phone calls and a few more e-mails......Garrett sent me a replacement coil and it arrived today by Fedex....I installed it....the machine seems to work.....just need to swing for a little bit for the true test....but for now it seems to be better...Getting Garrett to fix the problem was a battle.....hopefully the headache is over....and I hope others do not have to go through all this.

HH to all

db

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread