B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I`ve search a lot of sand and mulch tot areas discriminating against iron and foil with more than my share of gold and silver Bling and coins.

I recently swang over a Babe Ruth baseball card my brother gave me in a Danbury mint envelope and plated with gold?
It rang as the foil reading closest to the nickle.

Should i start digging all foil readings? TO GET MORE GOLD?

Thanks in advance Bill in NC.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
You bet! Especially in tot lots and sand where the digging is easy. That would be relic mode on the 250. Even dig iffy beeps.

OP
OP
B|lker

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I found this today but it was jumping back and forth between both foil readings.

Says 826 in 1 rectangle and RSE in the other.
Reseach online says 826 is a silver stamp mark but it rings in the gold area ???
I also found out that RSE is a company out of Asia that exports gems.

Looks like flaking gold to me. :icon_scratch:
Please ad your 2 cents if you have it, about finding items in these previously trashy areas on our detectors.

Thanks
B|lker in NC

Attachments

• pic 007.jpg
    pic 007.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 465
  • pic 009.jpg
    pic 009.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 482
  • pic 010.jpg
    pic 010.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 463

beaverdigger

Jan 26, 2008
Probably gold plated silver. Sterling sliver is 92.5% silver, 7.5% copper. Never heard of 826 silver or gold. But silver is usually marked .925 or just 925. If you look real close I bet the numbers are 925 and not 826. Nice find though

OP
OP
B|lker

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaverdigger, i dont even want to know what your name means :icon_king:

Here a site that lists silver hallmarks.

I`m going to ask a few friends with better eyes to take a look at it.

http://www.modernsilver.com/basichallmarks.htm

I still cant get over how it rang as foil in the gold range unlike most of my .925 being in the dime slot.

Thanks for looking everyone.
Bill

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still cant get over how it rang as foil in the gold range unlike most of my .925 being in the dime slot.

Thanks for looking everyone.
Bill
[/quote]

i'm really late and probably just talking to myself, but it says 925 and is probably vermeil, that is to say, gold plated sterling. I found that a couple of very thin, small sterling rings I found read below the coin notches on the 250, as did a vermeil bracelet. A braided chain sterling bracelet, air reads as foil.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
This might help.....

Attachments

• number_(2).jpg
    number_(2).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 313
  • number_(2).jpg
    number_(2).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 269

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Both of the broken bracelets I found last year rang in the foil range, just above iron. One was 10k, one 14k. Unless they are in a pile, (unlikely) there isn't much surface area to catch the signal. If I didn't dig foil, I never would have found them. They sound louder than foil when you are pinpointing, though, unless you get a big ball of foil. (I have dug many, many, MANY balls of foil.)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I found a paper thin 10 k kiddie ring (made in mexico) in a tot lot area once with my ace 250 that I was using at the time --that rang up as foil -- I only dug it up because I was getting coin signals nearby and wanted to get the trash out of my way --lesson learned * tiny thin gold items can ring up as foil with the ace 250.

the co mingling of junk and good stuff together in the same "block" with the ace 250 made me dig a whole lot of "iffy" signals -- (much more often junk than not )-- so I stepped up to a "0 to 99" range numbers type machine (delta 4000- $279) figgering 100 numbers vs 12 blocks - is a lot finer sorting ability wize ( 8 numbers on the delta 4000 vs 1 block on a ace 250 --thus finer sorting = less trash digging -due to better pre digging IDing .-- thus more time spent digging higher probility good targets --of course no machine is 100 % perfect ID wize but I feel its better. well worth the $67 dollar differance.

if hunting gold items once must understand there are some non gold items that WILL overlap into the gold ranges --electric conductivity wize-- like foil and pulltabs ( measuring electric conductivity is how a metal detector "sorts' out what metals it "thinks" it has found differant metals have differant electrical conductity --by its electrical conductivity level-as the machines electric feild it generates reacts to the metal in the ground and gets the return signal and "reads" it as being one metal or another ) --the finer a machine can sort its finds --the better you chances of being able to "pull apart" those close together items electrical conductivity wize --like say pulltabs vs gold rings * with the ace 250 there both in the same "block" so no chose but to dig it all --with the delta 4000 --lots of pull tabs are often say 54 while 10 k rings are say 56 (some tabs still read 56 --sadly) --14 k reads like 66/67

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold under 1 gram comes up as foil on my 250.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
foil signals + pull tab signals + can slaw signals + zinc signals + can slaw signals + aluminum booze cap signals + a lot of effort =

GOLD! ..............enjoy...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread