Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq

dirthunter

Apr 9, 2009
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Silver Umax
Jack, I have found a lot of gold, and silver jewelery with my Ace 250. Some of the gold I have found was very small items. I would think that the 250 would find gold nuggets. Just a opinion though.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I'm surprised some of the gold hunting experts haven't jumped in here but I'll do my best as the farthest west I go Is western NY. ;D :wink: Anyhoo, an ace is good for average hunting and even as in the article above could be ok for use in a desert area. But when it comes to a highly mineralized soil such as would be found in Northern Ca or Oregon, Washington, Alaska, NW Canada, this whole geographic region. The Aces would have difficulty because they lack a manual ground balance. I think you'd have to compensate by turning the sensitivity way down to like 1-2 bars and would lose allot of much needed depth as Gold is a heavy metal that will sink even faster and farther than Silver.
Just MHO, since I've never used one to hunt gold in that region, I hunt gold in the east but mostly in parks etc... :wink:

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
There is really nothing that can out hunt a designated gold machine. But if the Ace 250 is in your budget then don't let that stop you from having some fun. I would say your best bet in finding gold is tot lots, sand volleyball courts and fresh water swimming beaches. Get your machine and go for it!

limitedthoughts

Mar 8, 2008
vale, oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Quick Silver
I have to disagree. My ace finds lots of good stuff in Oregon. Its when you have tons and tons of trash together it gets hard.

LT

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I was speaking only of the Gold fields which are mainly found with rich black sand and is highly mineralized. I understand from some of our more experienced Oregonian prospectors that that is the condition of the Gold fields in Oregon.

limitedthoughts said:
I have to disagree. My ace finds lots of good stuff in Oregon. Its when you have tons and tons of trash together it gets hard.

LT

OP
OP
Jack Hamilton

Jack Hamilton

Apr 13, 2009
Murrieta Ca
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq
Guess I should just bite the bullet and save up for the Tesoro lobo ST. I dont want to be buying
and trading out machines. I'd rather just get the one I know I really want. I've read plenty of comments here and other sites from people saying it is one of the best MD's ever made. And from
what I can tell is in a medium to low price range. Just my kinda machine. Thanks for all of your honest
opinions. :thumbsup:

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
That LST is a great machine and will not only find nuggets,but coins,etc also.It has a lifetime warranty,no matter how many owners.You may be able to pick a good used one up very reasonable.

Willy

The warranty on the LST is NOT transferable.. the people at Tesoro are generally just nice about repairs. Re. the Ace250, it wouldn't be a good choice for prospecting. I had one and played around with it for a bit (with some of my test nuggets) and it didn't cut the mustard. Check out the MXT if you want a general purpose detector that's really hot on gold. I've found thousands of bux in nuggets (2oz down to 1/3 grain) with an MXT. I've also had an LST and found the MXT to be superior in the goldfields. The MXT also has ground tracking in disc. mode whereas the LST is preset. ..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions