RockyDig

May 9, 2005
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, GPX4500, AT Pro, F75 LTD, DFX, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett GTP1350 - White's DFX

I have been using a GTP1350 with a 12.5 Crossfire II head. It has worked out fine. I've gone to places that I've hunted many times before with my old GTA1000 and found new relics. It does suffer from the "halo" effect though. I can put a CW bullet in a 7'' hole and lose the signal. This can be overcome with experience and trusting your machine. If I know that I had a good signal to start with, dig a hole, and lose the signal, I keep digging the hole out until I get the signal in the newly dug dirt.

I recently purchased a White's DFX but haven't been able to use it much. I have been digging a lot of junk metal just to make sure of the signal. I think with time that the GTP and the DFX will produce some deep targets.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Garrett GTP1350 - White's DFX

I'm afraid the halo effect is going to occur on any machine until some new technology comes out to eliminate it. So far it doesn't exist. I think your two detectors will compliment each other nicely. I hope you don't make the mistake of trying to compare the two machines as they are in two entirely different categories. Good luck with both. From all I have read and seen, once you become proficient with the DFX, it is hard to beat. Monty

D

DavHut(SC)

Now, Im curious. ???
Why would anyoe want to eliminate the halo effect, It has the effect of enlarging the target as it lies in the ground, making it easier to detect. Why on earth wuold we want to do away with it? Perhaps I missed the point??

As for the DFX/1350 team-up. I gotta agree with Monty. The two will complement each other nicely, each having its own attributes. Id do a side by side comparison, in the field, though, where it counts. And of course, post your results here!!

David

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you are trying to discriminate out iron objects, the halo effect will cause you to get false signals indicating something other than iron. It can show up as silver, a coin, or just about anything else except a true iron target. If you are searching for coins in an area where there is a bunch of old rusted nails, the nails will show up as coins and drive you nuts, not to mention wasting a lot of precious hunting time. Also, if you are digging a deep false signal caused by the halo effect, you will lose the signal when the halo is broken. That's why so many novice detectorists report they are getting a good signal and then losing it, causing them to think something is wrong with their detectors. The only time I can think of that the halo effect could be benificial is if you are purposly hunting iron artifacts. Even at that you can get false signals just from something that has completely rusted away over time and there is nothing there but rust. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread